Number Of Notches / Target ID Range

ricardoman

Hi Steve, Lot of interesting discussion here. I have a question about using the notch (whether or not you are allowed to answer yet I don't know). 

You said, "The target id on this thing has hair splitting accuracy and stability with solid id locks on all but borderline targets." That statement made me think about notching. Can the Equinox notch out a single number (as opposed to two or three in sequence). What is the minimum notch you can do? 

Thank you. Rich

In the getting started guide it states that accept/reject has 50 segment resolution

So it should be just like the X-Terra where a single number or any combination of numbers can be notched. :smile:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/files/file/113-minelab-equinox-quick-start-guide/

Perhaps Steve can advise on how ML has set up the default profile 1 in park mode.  Possibly ML has made it US specific for general coin hunting?

Tom

This is one of those pictures say it all things. Bottom line - nearly twice the target id resolution as the X-Terra 705 (50 versus 28 segments), with each segment independently notchable (a new word definition?). Personally I think this is a good compromise between resolution and target id stability.

The target IDs range from -9 to 40 arranged in an arc for better on screen visibility. The arc is divided into what I am calling"zones" (my term - I don't know what if anything Minelab calls them) for easier identification. When you notch in and out the segment will flash and the target id number will display so no worries knowing where you are.

minelab-x-terra-305-505-705-target-segment-comparison.jpg

minelab-equinox-target-segment-map.jpg

minelab-equinox-target-id-template.jpg

minelab-equinox-preliminary-target-id-numbers.jpg

minelab-equinox-notch-discrimination.jpg

DCD9BDD3-BDFB-4F35-8FDC-3FDF883D573E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/6/2017 at 1:47 AM, Jackpine said:

Perhaps Steve can advise on how ML has set up the default profile 1 in park mode.  Possibly ML has made it US specific for general coin hunting?

I don't know that it has been settled on since that can be left to the last second. I am pretty sure there will be only one version internationally so it will have to work for everyone. Still, with multiple profiles you could do different defaults and so that is not a bad idea. On the other hand it is so easy to modify, and the settings save automatically on power down, it is not a huge deal. The obvious most simple default internationally is ferrous/non-ferrous and go from there. Great question and thanks for bringing it up!

42 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don't know that it has been settled on since that can be left to the last second. I am pretty sure there will be only one version internationally so it will have to work for everyone. Still, with multiple profiles you could do different defaults and so that is not a bad idea. On the other hand it is so easy to modify, and the settings save automatically on power down, it is not a huge deal. The obvious most simple default internationally is ferrous/non-ferrous and go from there. Great question and thanks for bringing it up!

Steve

I had forgotten the 705 goes in steps of 2.  Using more than one detector gets confusing so thanks for the reminder and also the comparison showing the 800's discrimination range.

Yup, all metal or a simple modification to the factory set profile would suit me most of the time. Still, nice to have the option of more than one user profile available.

For those that have used the X-Terra line the jump to the Equinox should be easy,  With the exception of the new advanced features the control logic and menu operation is basically the same.  For those new to it, most will quickly adapt as it is very intuitive.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Number Of Notches / Target ID Range

Interesting... I wonder how many gold rings will be lost notching out a particular pesky common site-specific pull-tab with the Equinox?  Digging tabs shallow water hunting can be a real pain, especially when one has limited vacation time.  With BBS one can learn tab predictability by tone response, but I still dig em!  Depending on the answer to my concern, it may be worth notching certain tabs out, despite the loss of some gold?    

All gold overlaps with some trash and so notching any trash could lose gold. It is a percentages thing and as you commented previously all about not just digging everything. If you dig everything use a PI. Next step, use a VLF to eliminate ferrous.

The next step is you are hunting a beach where one particular tab or other trash target accounts for the majority of the trash signals. Eliminating that one item might save the effort of digging hundreds of worthless holes. That in turn saves time to go after better targets.

Its purely an experience and judgement call sort of thing. The more time I have, the more I am going to patiently dig lots of holes. The less time I have (or if good targets are abundant), the more I will cherry pick. Everyone has to decide for themselves where to draw that line.

• Like 4

I will give a specific example. The zinc penny. I hate those things - the ones you find on a salt water beach are usually not even worth a penny they are so corroded. Not a lot of rings read in the exact target id segment as a zinc penny (yes, they exist, my common 14k wedding band reads as zinc penny) and so eliminating zinc pennies can eliminate a lot of holes dug for what will almost certainly be a zinc penny - unless it’s a gold ring! :smile:

Steve Herschbach, honorary member of the committee for the elimination of the zinc penny

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Gentleman 

It cost 2 1/2 cents to make that penny. I have a friend that will use a penny for a washer because it’s cheaper than buying one.

I sent my father in law to hunt a bus stop that was 10 x 15 that was covered in grass at one time. He said it was so many pennies he just sat down on the dirt to dig all the signals. After it was over he had found over 13 dollars in pennies. 

Even a penny at a time can add up. I’ve seen times a penny would have looked good.

Chuck

• Like 2