If The Audio Is Open Gate Or The Snap Shot Type ?

Baiker

The focus with Equinox is tight, dependable target id, not the “bleedy-blendy” thing that requires a more specialized ear. Open gate designs tend to mimic analog designs of old whereas snapshot/gated audio is more an artifact of early digital designs. The question arises that when the gated “snapshots” are sped up to the point of microsecond responses that are shorter than can be differentiated by the human ear, is there any real difference from a practical standpoint? I believe the Equinox is working at the digital level obviously, but the discrete target snapshots are occurring so fast that it is possible to profile targets like bottle caps audibly as if it were an open gate design. It is hard to describe and as close as I can get is to have you imagine a CTX running at Deus like speed or faster. In dense modern trash with wide open discrimination and faster detect speeds Equinox will play a melody as fast as you can physically swing the detector, and yet the individual hits are distinct.

All the above is just an opinion based on what I am hearing, nothing more. The following video let’s you listen and you can form your own opinion. Ignore the bit about the iron bar and just listen to the audio. Then you can tell me what you think it is doing.

One thing to note in this video is that a DD coil will get multiple hits on extremely shallow targets or targets too close to the coil, and I believe that is contributing to some of the “busyness” displayed in this video. I use the same effect to alert me to shallow targets. Once the tone alerts you to a good hit you have to slow down and focus on that target to pick it out as is demonstrated halfway well in the video. And final note. The video displays what I consider to be an earlier, rougher version of the audio. It is even cleaner now. Remember, this is a prototype in the video, not a finished product!!! All videos currently in existence have to be taken with a grain of salt, but only to the positive side. Things have only improved with time.

• Like 1

Very fast indeed but I'm wondering is that just in the sweet spot of the coil?  When the iron is put in there they are still swinging on the same spot in the coil and I dont note any muddying of the response.  I'm not saying I would not pull up and slow down with a positive hit.... or swing that fast anyway... but I'd like to know your thoughts on muddy signals.

Might have found an answer in this tread so my comment is on the video.

Sorry Steve, my thoughts yesterday were a bit jumbled when I edited the post after reading the other thread on detect speed.  Having watched the video and comparing the info in these two threads I guess the question is are there any muddy signals with the EQ?

Whether its a snap shot or open gate I'd expect some bleed between signals *points toward the iron/coin separation demonstrated on the video* however the video does not show this and I wonder if its an artifact due to the use of the sweet spot in the coil and not a true indication of targets on the edge of the coil, where I would expect to hear bleed *or blended* signals.  Often times I'm pulled to a target because of that edge on indication or there's just a big bloody clump of bottle caps hiding a penny or dime.  If your separating targets at edge or in clumps then this is an incredibly fast snap shot.