Equinox Recovery ( Detect Speed ) Settings

Cabo Chris

Perhaps this has been discussed previously... and correct me if wrong, but the Equinox has adjustable recovery settings, which could be set depending on the density and type of targets encountered?  But what might be the trade-offs when using fast vs slower recovery speed?  Target ID?  Depth?  Perhaps with the new Equinox technology it does not matter-  Oh and do the recovery settings function with single and multi-frequency modes?          

1 hour ago, broadsmaster said:

Thanks for the link.  Well it sounds like many say they will not sell their 3030s for an Equinox.  These same people seem to view an Equinox as stepping down and should not even have an interest in one at all- Right?  There seems to be 2 camps forming... those who make fun of the Equinox and those whom are practically experts on them and down.  I still think there will be a machine dump and the complainers will be swinging an 800!  Funny, one of my hunting buddies in NH just called me and asked if I wanted to buy his older CTX.  I did not ask why and he did not say either.  I suspect the 3030 is too involved for him, or he has his eye on an Equinox?  He knows I'm a 3030 fan, only a 3030 is not the best travel machine (I can list several reasons why).  His offer is tempting despite his not being of the newer sand seal/arm lock design.  I lost 2 3030s to battery seal leaks and one reason the 3030 is not great for shallow water hunting/travel- where one skips from beach to beach, spending many hours a day in the surf 7-10 days.  I pretty much have this leak thing figured out (one has to clean the older style gasket every time one leaves the water and prior to going back in) and the new sand seal design does help, but sure do not like to randomly ruin a WP detector with a few drops of salt!  The more I think about his offer though, perhaps I should travel with 2 3030s?  (always travel with a back-up).  I use a Force-Protector rolling duffle in which one could fit 2 3030s. While more complex than an Excal, the 3030 does see some chains the Excal can't. 

Yet ever since the TSA and airlines have made traveling more difficult, with each trip I promise myself to travel lighter next time.  Taking 2 Excaliburs and 1 3030 with all related gear is a feat in 1 50lb max bag!  (Our group limits 1 checked bag ea, so as to fit group luggage in rental van)  Again why I'm excited about the Equinox hopefully giving the Excal a run for the money.  ML stated the Equinox was almost as good as BBS dealing with salt and I hope the new technology like faster recovery and ability to deal with iron might make up the difference?  Who knows... the Equinox may not meet my needs?  I'm optimistic though and if it does and as soon as I make that determination, will be selling several of my machines.  There are other reasons I'm cheering for the Equinox.  On our trips we hunt in the water, but more than once I've been called to find a lost ring in the dry sand, one of which found turned out to be a $75,000 set!  Had I not happened along and summoned, that ring set might still be there today and got me wondering what riches lie in the dry sand?  Best time to find out would be at night when all are gone and chairs put away.  Perhaps using the gold mode of the Equinox might find gold in the dry sand and better than what an Excal can do- especially on chains/diamond earrings?

I still wonder if the Equinox response settings are compromised?  Faster recovery might results in more masked shallow water finds?  

What we are discussing is usually called "Recovery Speed" by most manufacturers. From the White's XLT User Manual:

"Recovery Speed - Speeds target responses, so several targets that are close together can each respond.

When a metal is detected, it takes a fraction of a second for the detector to process the signal before it can respond to another metal target nearby. The time it takes to process the first metal target signal so that the second metal target signal can respond is called RECOVERY SPEED.

There are advantages and disadvantages to fast (high numbers) and slow (low numbers) RECOVERY SPEEDS. Faster RECOVERY SPEEDs work well in high trash areas. However, they will have some difficulties with very deep targets as well as double responses on shallow targets. Slower RECOVERY SPEEDs do not work very well in high trash areas. However, they will have better responses on very deep targets. Slower speeds also have more definitive discrimination sounds. A custom setting needs to be found that suits the preferences of the individual and the conditions in the area. As a general rule, the closer together the metal targets are in an area, the faster the recovery speed should be. The more spacing between targets, the slower the speed should be. Don't use the fast speed if you don't need to.

In very trashy areas it is recommended to switch to a loop smaller in size than the standard 9.5 inch black loop. Smaller loops offer better separation between targets. However, larger loops detect deeper and cover more area with each pass. RECOVERY SPEED combined with a smaller loop can be used to search severely trashy areas."

Just to confuse people White's decided to call it "Recovery Delay" on the V3i. A low recovery delay equates to a fast recovery speed.

From the White's V3i User Manual:

"Recovery Delay - 1 – 200 200 = slowest. Additional and separate (beyond filtration) selection for the signal response time. Short response time benefits performance in high trash by providing better target separation. A longer response time allows a larger window to detect deeper targets. Ideal Recovery Delay is dependent on Ground Filter selection, ground mineralization, trash density, and your average sweep speed (how quickly you move the search coil)."

It would seem detector manufacturers abhor standard terminology, even the same manufacturer! XP has decided to call Recovery Speed by an even newer term - "Reactivity". From the Deus User Manual:

xp-deus-reactivity-example.jpgxp-deus-v4-reactivity-chart.jpg

Now we have Minelab calling this setting "Detect Speed" or "Target Recovery Speed" but it is the same thing. You have 8 levels on the Equinox 800 (1 = slowest and 8 = fastest) and three levels on the Equinox 600 (setting of 1 is equal to setting of 2 on the 800, 3 is equal to setting 4 on the 800, and 3 is equal to setting 6 on the 800).

Just as is described above a low setting draws out the target sound and makes it easier to hear. Fast settings clip the audio and shorten the responses to better see between targets, but depth in open ground is compromised. Use the lowest setting that achieves the desired effect. Detect Speed is available in all modes.

minelab-equinox-detect-speed-settings-60

An Analogy Explaining Recovery Speed Benefits

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Equinox Recovery ( Detect Speed ) Settings

One reason why when getting a Null in shallow water with an Excalibur one should slow down and examine the target from several angles/wiggle, as it could be a deep good target or a bad target masking gold nearby.  Or it's just an iron/steel target or a bad section of ground with too fast a sweep or too high sensitivity setting.  Since the Excalibur is slow to respond, one can easily miss good targets near bad.... unless one makes multiple passes which can eventually mask out the iron.

8 speed adjustments on the Equinox seems like a lot.  When one watches the Equinox speed test online, I'm impressed the way it handled that hunk of iron thrown in.  Good targets still came in.  It will be interesting to see how the speed settings of the 800 effect target tone/depth/VDI response in saltwater.  There could be several variables, such as sand density, slope, trash, mineralization... when selecting a speed.  I guess a good test would be to burry a gold ring once one reaches a specific site and test speed responses?  I'm hoping the faster responding Equinox can pull a few more gold pieces out of the sea!