Equinox Ground Balance

11 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

I know they are different.

But what single freq GB number lines up closer to multi freq GB,,that was what I was referring to.

Each detect mode view (differently) on each's merit.. Not compared necessarily.

But do notice the park 2 and field 2 act more similar.

And park 1 and field 1 act more similar.

So is there a connection with weighted freq and auto GB  number over the same ground, assuming ground not inert?

Just something to ponder.

I don't ponder such things, I just trust that ML's engineers know their stuff when it comes to ground handling. LOL

Tom

• Like 4

In my experience with the machine in multi here in moderately mineralized ground of east Tennessee as well as in super hot spots in Culpeper, va. That while sure it will work and find targets even not ground balanced what you will find by utlizing the auto ground balance and auto tracking enabled is that you can keep the machine insanely stable even at a higher  sensitivity if you choose. 

However, this is a super hot machine even at stock sensitivity.  By optimizing your ground balance not only will the machine be more stable but it will also have more accurate id and depth gauge will be much more accurate. 

You also eliminate most of the flase targets or can here deeper peeps in heavy iron. I also have found that reducing the sound of the iron to a background level and increasing the non ferrous tons running in all metal you can really cherry pick, even in  hot soil with heavy iron trash.

So, even though the manual may imply you don't have to ground balance which is true you will get a better overall experience if you do especially if your ground is hot. I truly feel that is site specific and you should treat the gb as you do the mode select the best settings for the location.

• Like 4

I agree with steveg's thoughts. Just like the other multi frequency units the GB isn't as critical as SF in most ground.

I've only run in to a couple of places where the machine got "out of balance" and had to change it from the factory presents ( or where it auto GBed) in that mode. Swinging a GPX a lot gives you a good ear for that slightly out of balance state. I've found that while being in multi if the machine becomes unbalanced, I go in to the GB mode and manually adjust the GB setting just a number or two until the machine is stable again. It doesn't take much. 

Kind of like the auto tune feature on the GPX. You let the machine find the most quiet frequency first and, after a while,  it may get a little noisy. Then usually all that is required is to go in and adjust up or down a coulple of numbers and she's quiet again.

Hope that made sense.

Dean

• Like 3

This is the sort of info that is very valuable and very difficult to know the wheres, whys and hows of getting without the help of someone who knows a lot about the subject.  Thank you Steve, and to all those you collect this info from.

• Thanks 1

HOLY SMOKES, Steve...you have knocked it out of the park here!!!  

THANKS for the GREAT info!

I now have some studying to do!  Excellent!

Steve

• Thanks 1

Ya this the type of information that gets you to next level Detecting..   Greatly appreciated!

• Thanks 1

We are at best simple users which enjoy the genius and knowhow off those that design and build and help finetune. Often fall pray to overthinking stuff when out of the box it just plain performs!

Great read Mr H

• Thanks 1

WOW Steve when you said you replied to my inquiry you weren’t kidding ?

I'm visiting family for Easter weekend and only brought my iPhone so I’ll read this again when I get home so I can read all the links and videos, great stuff!

i know in the Minelab Equinox Treasure blogs they talked about Multi IQ transmitting AND receiving simultaneous multiple frequencies as to do real-time ground sampling and analysis.  Pretty sophisticated stuff going on under the hood.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the detailed reply, I’ll give it the read it deserves when I return home.