Garrett ATX ? Recon ? Infinium? Coils

Dingo

Hi guys I'm new to this site and was wondering if the 8 inch mono coil from the recon will work on the ATX ? Or should I just try the direction that everyone is talking about with the infinium coil? I like this machine but after about 1 hr it starts getting heavy.any options would be appreciated.

I should have started with I've been detecting since 1994 and just recently decided to go for the gold with all the restrictions at all the parks local and state I'm done with the harassment anyway that's another forum.

Thanks Dan

I just got tired of the local parks charging to use are own parks (permits to detect) and know the state park have told us no more in any of those parks except the coast beaches,give them some time they will take that from us too.they say the land of the free. LOL better yet they will just charge like local parks to use are own parks it's just joke.

Dan

Ok it looks like I found some of the info I was looking for on an old post but it's a little confusing I looks like Paul from Cali has used the infinium DD coils on the recon and the ATX and they work.awsome but Steve in the same post says Garrett said only the DD will work on ATX not the mono ones if the DD coils work on both the ATX and recon why are the mono coils not compatible? From the ATX to the recon and vise versa ?

Thanks

Dan

Ah yes but the two departments (recon pro)and (ATX) don't inner mingle I tried that first I felt like they would rather sell me 6 or 8 coils rather then just 1 or 2 I was told that the ATX DD coil would not work on the recon what so ever witch would make some sense until I read about the infinium coils working on both the recon and ATX. So I'm starting to think the ATX mono and the recon are the same and will inner mingle,but just want more info before I try it . I'm going out this weekend up north and I'm bring both would like to try it then,I hope to see a few more post before then.

Dan

Ok today I went ahead and answered my own ? Was trying to save the risk of hurting my detector ,but life is to short to Waite forever for the answer so I went ahead and put the coil on and it worked just don't have an ATX 8in to compare it too would found it od that people said the mono would not work but it did .

Well off tomorrow for some nor cal detecting plumas county

Thanks Dan

There was one other thing I noticed when doing the air test in same spot and same settings the stock coil was quite a bit noisier over the mono 8 in coil I had to turn sensitivity up that was odd to me anyways.

Dan

Hello Dan,

Sorry so late to reply. We were out prospecting "off the grid" with no internet access for a few days.

This is from my page at http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/garrett-atx-metal-detector-accessories.htm and is the answer I got specifically direct from Garrett:

"The ATX can be operated with Infinium DD coils. Performance with Infinium DD coils should be normal but is not guaranteed. The ATX cannot be operated with Infinium mono coils or any other Garrett coil other than ATX coils and Infinium DD coils. Recon Pro coils will not work on the ATX. The Recon Pro is not the same machine electronically, even though it looks similar. Use of any coil other than ATX coils and Infinium DD coils, including the use of 3rd party coils, will void the warranty."

"will not work" does not mean it may not seem to work if plugged in, but runs a risk of damaging the detector.