D2 Tone Questions

Geologyhound

Hello all!

I am a bit new to the D2 here. I have a couple questions regarding tone settings.  In the menu system, it appears that multi tones are different from pitch tones.  If you set up four tones (with the low tone corresponding to the discrimination setting), and leave it at four tones when you save the program, will that act differently than pitch tones?  Conversely, if you set up your tone bins and switch back to pitch tones to save that program, will you still get the same tone bins while hunting?

Along the same lines, when you set up your tone bins, there is no gap for the notched out areas. I am guessing that when hunting, any tone in a notched out area will be suppressed. But does that work differently between multi tones and pitch tones - if there is a difference?

Thanks!

When you save a program, you just save the active settings.  So if you've selected pitch tones, that will be what gets saved.  If you had previously been in, say 4 Tones and you had edited the 'stock' bins for that program, your changes would only be remembered until the machine was switched off.  Tone bins only really mean anything when the conductivity (as approximated by the TID) governs the frequency/pitch of the sound you hear - which is not the case in Pitch Tones (it's a confusing name really!) - the frequency/pitch you hear in this case only varies by size/distance.

45 minutes ago, Geologyhound said:

Along the same lines, when you set up your tone bins, there is no gap for the notched out areas. I am guessing that when hunting, any tone in a notched out area will be suppressed. But does that work differently between multi tones and pitch tones - if there is a difference?

Thanks!

Any signals which match a 'notched' TID will be 'rejected' and not make any sound.  I think this works in multi/full and pitch tones - it would make sense if it did.  If you use notch in pitch, you can preselect which TIDs (TIDs being a proxy for conductivity) will not make any sound.

Tones and audio options seem to be the most confusing part of the D2.  The XP manual needs to take a couple extra pages to explain the options and especially the interactions between tone options and audio options. If I am understanding this correctly, then I think I might have the tone section figured out. Full tones = Pitch change according to TID, but no volume change. Multi tones essentially like Full tones but you get to select how many tone bins and the range of TIDs to which the pitch applies. Pitch tones = pitch and volume of signal varies according to target size and depth.

But, here is where I get more confused.  How do these tone options interact with the audio type? For example, as per the XP manual, square and pitch theoretically wouldn’t be compatible because as per the square explanation, the harmonics don’t vary with the signal amplitude - only the volume changes. But, pitch says the tone and pitch varies with signal strength.  Likewise, if the volume is stable for full or multi tones regardless of target strength, then how does that react with square since the volume should change based on depth or size?

For PWM, is it just essentially the opposite of square? The tone varies with the signal strength to give an indication of depth or size whereas with square the volume changes? And again, how would that react with the Full/multi/pitch tone options?

It really appears like there may be six audio options (PWM and square with the three discrimination-tone sub-options of full, multi, and pitch). However I did notice that none of the stock programs utilize PWM with pitch, although the machine will let me select those together for a custom program. Are these audio/tone options just a matter of taste, or in what situation would each of these options be most beneficial? With all these options, I am still trying to figure out what I am hearing and why.  I keep shuffling between programs trying to discern differences every time I find a decent target.  But, I’m digging more can slaw and tinfoil wads than with my 30-year old detector (yes, it was time for an upgrade). 😏

I expected a dig-everything phase with a new detector.  But, if I can understand what’s going on with the interactions between tones and audio settings, I might be able to shorten the length of that phase...  Anybody can dig a strong repeatable well focused 94 - it’s understanding all of the nuances and interactions that make the difference on everything else, and I want to understand those nuances!  If a response to this subject is too complex for a post, and there is an aftermarket handbook you can point me towards which addresses this subject, that would be great.

Thank you again for any light you can shed on the situation!

It is confusing so let me see if I can help.

First off think as PWM and Square audio as sound types.

Think of the Tones, 2, 3, 4, 5, Full, and Pitch as sound styles.

PWM audio is a triangle-wave type sound that ramps up or down though a broad range and tends to have a more nuanced sound.

Square audio is square-wave smoothed off sound that ramps up or down rapidily and has a more pleasant sound to many people.

You can assign PWM or Square audio to any Tone style setting.

The Tone styles, 2-5 Tones, you are familiar with and each tone bin can be assigned a tone break and a tone pitch.

Full Tones is a full range sound that distributes the pitches (low to high) according to target conductivity with less change in volume. Target depth and size can affect the sound. Shallow and large targets tend to give a distorted or overdriven sound depending on your Sensitivity and Audio Response settings.

Pitch Tones is a VCO sound that increases and decreases in amplitude according to size and depth of a target.

The Audio Response setting also plays a part on the sound. It is a dynamic range control for the audio. The default is usually 4. Higher settings increase the dynamic range making smaller and deeper (weaker) targets sound louder but removing some depth perception. Lower settings give more depth perception but reduce the volume of smaller and deeper (weaker) targets.

That's basically it in a large nutshell.

Pick the Tone style you prefer and set the audio type (PWM or Square) you prefer. Coming from an Equinox, I used mostly Square audio because I was used to that sound,  but I have been learning PWM audio more lately and really like it. Some people hate PWM, but that's the beauty of all the sound choices of the D2. You can set it up any way you like.

Thank you! A lot to digest here. Coming from the Spectrum XLT, I figure the audio response setting is similar to the XLT’s pre-amp gain.  But, the preamp gain setting tended to make the detector unstable with medium to high settings.  This does not seem to be the case with the D2, at least with the low to medium audio response settings with which I have been tinkering.

Square pitch seems a lot more like the XLT’s tones.  I think what I will do is do is set up two custom programs side-by-side with the same tone settings - one PWM, and one square.  I have read multiple times that an experienced user can hear the sharp edges of can slaw with PWM, and I would love to dig less of that!

2 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

I think what I will do is do is set up two custom programs side-by-side with the same tone settings - one PWM, and one square.  I have read multiple times that an experienced user can hear the sharp edges of can slaw with PWM, and I would love to dig less of that!

That's what I did while experimenting with PWM and Square audio. I still get fooled by aluminum, but I have called some as well. I still dig to confirm at this point unless it real big, but any reduction in digging can slaw is very welcome.