Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

99 Excellent

1 Follower

About ColonelDan

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location:
    Central Florida
  • Interests:
    Metal Detecting, Cowboy Action Shooting, Baseball, Writing and Traveling
  • Gear Used:
    CTX 3030; EQX 800; Excalibur II

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I really like and admire those who come up with such innovations to improve our detecting life and equipment. However, a primary consideration/concern for beach hunters like me would be that sand gets into everything as we know. I can see that pesky sand quickly jamming up the telescoping action which will either prevent the telescoping movement altogether, make it increasingly rough to extend/collapse and/or it will sand down the surface of the shafts in short order. This may work fine for those who don't have to deal with beach sand but I don't think it would work for me. Just the view from my sandy foxhole....
  2. I'll be staying with my custom 3 tones set up. And to each his own RE: pitch. I like 1,12 and 25. I just posted this 2 tone post as an item of interest based on those videos and how various targets span the spectrum of VDI.
  3. In a previous post of mine, I made the case for using 3 tones based on Low, Medium and High conductive targets; a system I routinely use in hunting our Florida beaches. It's simple, effective and gives me the information I really need. The videos below however, make a strong case for 2 tones and the "Dig it All" approach when using the Equinox series detectors. Why? As you'll see in those videos, the tested targets span the VDI spectrum based on metallurgical composition, shape and size. Granted, these are nothing more than air tests which aren't affected by depth, moisture or ground mineralization but they at least provide some indication as to how a variety of targets range the VDI scale based on their individual characteristics. If using 2 tones, I would personally set the tone breaks at -9 to 0 using tone pitch 1 indicating probable junk and the second tone break at 1 thru 40 using tone pitch 25. If I were interested only in a more detailed target description, I would lean heavily toward the CTX 3030. However, in the type of beach hunting I do, I favor the Multi IQ, faster processor, enhanced sensitivity and weight of the EQX over the CTX...just my personal preference or as I always say, "Just the view from my foxhole." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgspduZA_8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7345qtsc7s&feature=youtu.be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMHH5ynSwW0&feature=youtu.be
  4. Granted, our beaches are relatively low in mineralization where I normally hunt. But since all beaches are different, my simple reasoning is this; if sand isn’t supposed to be there, I want it outta there. 😉
  5. I suggest you start to drill your holes from the inside of the cover. That way there's no ridges left on the inside to impede the flow of water. Just the view from my foxhole...
  6. Here is a photo of how I modified the coil cover on my EQX 800. Works fine for me on our Florida beaches. One swipe in the water and the sand flushes out.
  7. I drilled a series of larger holes on the wider areas of the cover and numerous small holes around the narrow rim area.
  8. Deep 1, I've been drilling numerous holes in my coil cover for years and, like you said, it works fine and the coil itself is still protected. After years of hunting the beaches, I found that with a solid coil cover, no matter how well you try and seal them, salt water and sand gets in there. The real problem comes from the indisputable fact that once in there, the sand has no way to get out thus the problem. After I drilled holes in the cover, the water flushes out the sand and I'm good to go. When I get home and remove the coil cover, I find there's only a few isolated grains of sand left...not nearly enough to cause any problems whatsoever.
  9. Agree with Steve's note from ML. 99% of my hunting is on Florida beaches and the GB works as ML rep states...Beach mode is not locked on 0. Just the view from my sandy foxhole! 😉
  10. Thanks....that's exactly what I thought of this design so I'll have to pass. Now were I a land hunter and a backpacker...yes, by all means I'd have one.
  11. Steve, That's a great modification and I just might be right behind you as customer #2 when and if that becomes available in the States. The only real concern for my situation is how sand from our beaches might affect the operation of the telescoping shafts and the locks over time. No matter how careful one is and how precautionary you think you've been, beach sand gets on and into everything. Thanks for the post...
  12. Our beaches along the east coast have been heavily replenished and coupled with no significant nor’easters, finds from the 1715 fleet have been rare as hens teeth. When conditions improve, the EQX will do just fine!!! Having said that, come on down and give it a go.
  13. Great report on a great adventure! Enjoyed every sentence Steve...thank you. Soldier on....
  14. I previously posted my experience at Key Largo Florida this past summer when I was detecting on a very hot beach and had a cover over the EQX control box. After about an hour, the EQX started to malfunction...buttons and screen. After removing the cover and letting the EQX cool down, all returned to normal.
  • Create New...