Two Afternoon Hunts - Three Coin Denominations 100+ Years Old!

7 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Awesome! love those "find a minute" kind of hunts, but I see where you would shift gears and "go for the old" (to "coin" a phrase 😀) Congrats on the old ones, and you got a silver coin too!

Sometimes I'll clean up those old tokens if they have high relief. Probably shouldn't mention how 😏Take a picture of the result and it may pop up on Numista if you use Google Lens. 

Nice early Matchbox too. Did you use the 13" ?

Yes, this was all with the 11 x 13.  I just received a set of the cleaning “crayons”, and experimented with a couple of wheat pennies before tackling these.  I think I’ll have to make a separate thread for cleaning, but I wanted to post the results here so you can see the before and after.  These are the same coins/token which I originally posted. Now that I can see the date, the 1880 Indianhead penny is my oldest coin ever!  The token unfortunately does not show up in the Ohio Merchant Tokens book by Gaylor Lipscomb.

AF3F5625-B4DE-4263-B1DA-C9150C77E1C6.jpeg

8A5D4FE4-E706-4F84-A16C-C4AF25A46085.jpeg

2 hours ago, HardPack said:

Unfortunately, at the moment of discovery I was busy down the block converting another old adult entertainment establishment into modern office space. Delayed by just minutes, after rummaging through a hidden upstairs recess, I arrived too late to stake a valid share of the original Italian bar claim. 

Great finds, Keep digging!

Ouch!  I hope they took a metal detector over the dirt after picking up all the coins. Who knows what might’ve been buried under the dust…

Just as an update, I showed the pictures to the local historian at the site, and he thought the valve might actually be a gas lamp valve.