Replacement For My GPX 4500 11 Inch DD Coil?

As I understand it the 11 inch DD Minelab coil is the recommended coil for initial use in a new area.  Mine is dead.  Should I buy an identical coil as a replacement or does current technology offer a better option?  Also any comment on the Chinese $60 clone?

• Like 1

You probably have near 50 different coil options for the GPX-4500.  Heck, maybe even closer to 100?  Don't read into the manual to much as most of us here in the US prefer the MONO over the DD because of greater depth and also increased sensitivity.  I don't think you need to purchase a new one but having a DD in your arsenal is a wise decision.

As for the Chinese knock off. I don't care if it's free, I wouldn't even hook one up to my detector.

In harshest soil conditions a DD runs smoother.  Realize many areas in OR, ID, NV, AZ, the average nugget locations are not that bad of soils and MONO is preferred.

DD coil is great for the few folks who like using the IRON ID feature of the 4500.  It does take a little practice but worth it.

If you are on a budget, I have a used Factory Shipped 11" round DD with col cover for the older version SD series and would let it go for $60 shipped.

My personal favorite was the 10" ELLIP DD as it was great for getting into tight hard to reach areas.

1e4July2.thumb.jpg.1fd2e6d8662777ea09b6e43b25addc8b.jpg

• Like 8

• The title was changed to Replacement For My GPX 4500 11 Inch DD Coil?
On 7/20/2024 at 9:39 PM, oldmancoyote1 said:

As I understand it the 11 inch DD Minelab coil is the recommended coil for initial use in a new area.  Mine is dead.  Should I buy an identical coil as a replacement or does current technology offer a better option?  Also any comment on the Chinese $60 clone?

Gerry of Gerry’s Detecting offer for that 11” GP DD coil is a great deal.  That coil will work well on your 4500.

I personally use the Detech 11'' DD AI coil on my 4500 because of the Iron Rejection on my Saxon/Roman sites,we dont tend to nugget hunt here in the UK......but my favourite coil when i can locate on is the 10''  DD elliptical but i think i have located a new one and will have it by the end of the month.

The reason i went for the Detech DD AI coil was the fact that the only site that really requires the AI is a roman trading villa sites which is about 40 acres and right next door to the site is  massive pumping station which emits no end of EMI and also the ground is almost black due to high mineral content,so the weapon of choice for this site is a GPX and also the DD AI coil and it does work exceptionally well.

• Like 1

Why would you even consider buying Chinese junk? To save a few bucks? The more you buy Chinese junk, the more you are ok with the eventual take over of your rights and way of life. Stick with Minelab dd coil. They care about performance, chinese junk does not.

• Thanks 1

Forget Chinese anything when it comes to hooking up to a Minelab.

As for your dilemma with the 11" DD.

An 11" Minelab Mono will "serve" you much better.

It made the difference between Quitting Detecting for nuggets or finding a 1st nugget for a few people I've detected with over the years.

No baloney 👍🤠

Happy Huntn

• Like 2