Advice Needed On Buying A Gold Exploration Permit In North Queensland

On 3/11/2024 at 6:57 PM, Norvic said:

Yeah there`s a reason why these areas are so difficult to get into, it just isn`t wise for local detector operators to broadcast either their locations and their finds or for Property Owners to repair the tracks. Nor wise to drive off the tracks either because every Tom, Dick & Harry will follow your tracks, and as Geof_J posted it isn`t wise to take out any sort of title as that just broadcasts where you are.

You're spot on Norvic and here's me telling everyone my intentions and just about giving away the permit area's exact location.. Thanks for your advice, the wise words of old time FNQers are always taken aboard..

The station has strict rules regarding where people can fossick and camp on their land, and I'm hoping that with the permit area being well away from these places that you wouldn't get too much traffic there.. That's not counting the dickheads that'll follow your tracks but you'd have to deal with them as they came up.. You'd also tell the station and together you might be able to keep the scavengers at bay..

The permit's rules regarding relations with landowners are pretty much the same common-sense rules that come with a fossicking license.. The only difference being that the landowner can't stop you from entering their land once you've notified them of entry.. But this doesn't mean the landowner can't kick up a fight, so it's better to smoke a peace pipe..   

I've only ever passed through the area going up the cape but didn't have detecting/fossicking gear with me, so it's hard to imagine dealing with landowners and permits.. Also, I haven't bought the permit yet! I'm still seeking advice from knowledgeable folk like yourself, JP and Geoff.. I suppose if asking for advice comes at the price of a few scavengers, I'd be more than happy to pay.. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/11/2024 at 6:08 AM, Jonathan Porter said:

Under QLD law with pastoralists/landowners permission anyone can detect on an EPM which is how the whole Palmerville pay to detect arrangement works.

Thanks again JP, that's exactly how it turned out.. This EPM isn't 'far apart' from the others, it's part of the station's fossicking areas.. I can't really say the exploration company was misleading us, it's just that they stayed away from answering direct questions on this point.. They made it sound like once you have an EPM it's yours to explore, they never mentioned having to share the place with other punters.. Just like they failed to mention that you're not allowed to camp in permit areas.. I also never thought to ask, assuming that camping there was all part of the show.. From taking to geologists working in Cape York, it turns out that the company was using the station's camp grounds (and paying camping fees) while they were prospecting this EPM..

I've also talked to the station manager and we've come to an agreement which will involve paying their $3000/year fossicking fee but allows us to camp wherever we strike likely ground.. He even said we were welcome to spend a week or two having a closer look at this permit area using the company's hotspot maps before we commit to buying.. But to compare paying $6500 for an EPM that we can't camp on to a station agreement where we can get stuck into any permit area which looks good (including the one we were interested in) is a big win for us..

Also, we've approached other cattle stations in North Queensland and we've never gotten the go ahead for a looksee on their land, Palmerville Station is a refreshing change in that regard.. 

• Like 3

Another thing I'd like to mention for anyone considering taking a punt on an EPM is that the reporting requirements in Queensland are very strict.. We were told that a 'map with hotspots and a few photos of quartz showing colour' would satisfy the Department of Mining.. Although at first I thought 'you bloody beauty!' this turned out to be another 'alternative fact'.. I'm glad I finally got a hold of the station manager who told me that inspectors had closed down and fined EPM holders on the station three weeks ago for under-reporting.. Doesn't matter how remote the EPM may be, at some stage they'll come and have a look or at least go through your yearly reports with a finely tuned bullshit meter..  

You also have to be aware of the new 'halving rule' (see below).. In our case we asked the company to put forward a business proposal as to why this 6.5 square kilometre EPM shouldn't be halved and be kept whole for further exploration.. This was accepted by the Department of Mines and met one of our requirements.. 

4 - Halving Rule.png

• Like 3