New Style Remote Charging Plug

Ends up being a PIA as I have to readjust the length everytime I do that... Small one but still a PIA that has a simple solution.. When I am out detecting for the day and take a break I put the charger on.. I did manage to make it easier to use the coil connection by shaving off a little of the edges of the coil cover connection.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2024 at 10:08 AM, DWerk said:

Ends up being a PIA as I have to readjust the length everytime I do that... Small one but still a PIA that has a simple solution.. When I am out detecting for the day and take a break I put the charger on.. I did manage to make it easier to use the coil connection by shaving off a little of the edges of the coil cover connection.

The only problem I can see with not operating the camlocks (to keep the shaft the same length as the time) is that if you don't do it and use the detector in salt water especially, you will end up with frozen uppers and lowers which will damage the finish and worse, if you don't move and clean them periodically. Even the fine farm dust from relic hunting will do it.

I have had this happen, and had to buy a new setup as a result. Luckily there was another problem that reduced the price. 😬

Again thanks to Rattlehead for this find, used it for a week at the beach and so far I find it quite the improvement, especially the right angle orientation of the plug which greatly enhances inserting it. πŸ‘ Thanks to XP for this option. πŸ™‚

I've been using a Detecting Doodads voltage display charging clip on my coil, and it has performed flawlessly for over 2 years now as long as I pay attention to orientation. Sadly, they are no longer offered, and as yet no one has picked up the gauntlet nor improved on it. 😒

• Like 2

On 5/1/2024 at 3:08 PM, DWerk said:

If you mean shaving off the sharp arriss or edge at the top of each side of the coil cover, where the charging clip goes - I strongly recommend this.Β  A simple mod makes putting the charging clip on very much easier.Β  I think the main problem with the XP charging clip is that the USB socket allows the USB plug to 'waggle' in it a bit.

XP Coil Mod.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 3:08 PM, DWerk said:

Β 

The shaving of the edges is exactly what I did to solve the problem there... Works fine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Again thanks to Rattlehead for this find, used it for a week at the beach and so far I find it quite the improvement, especially the right angle orientation of the plug which greatly enhances inserting it. πŸ‘ Thanks to XP for this option. πŸ™‚

I've been using a Detecting Doodads voltage display charging clip on my coil, and it has performed flawlessly for over 2 years now as long as I pay attention to orientation. Sadly, they are no longer offered, and as yet no one has picked up the gauntlet nor improved on it. 😒

I have the Detecting Doodads charging clip as well. I know a lot of people (including myself) have had trouble with shipping and communication after making a purchase from those guys, but I think the clip itself is a big improvement over the OEM one. I've had mine since June of 2022 and its still working great.

• Like 1