Help W Magnetic Reject And Gb Tracking. When To Use Vs Not?

619_805_okie

I haven't yet figured out what magnetic reject does and when to use it. I also don'tquite undrrstand when to use ground balance tracking. Hoping for some input...

My beach ground balances at about 87 in the damp sand. But the dry sand is very black and full of iron (and old buffalo nickels!). I barely pick up any coins in the black sand any coins deeper than 4-5 inches dont seem to get picked up. That being said, i know they are there as I've dug them up while digging for shallower coins. 

I guess my questions are...

1. Do you ever use GB tracking? If so, when is it helpful?

2. WTF is magnetic reject and when should it be used vs not used?

I have a few custom programs set to coin shoot in black sand. Mainly programs to notch out iron falsing and aluminum but trying to refine these to better sort out black sand.

7 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

I have a few custom programs set to coin shoot in black sand. Mainly programs to notch out iron falsing and aluminum but trying to refine these to better sort out black sand.

I have struggled with black sand too. Right now, I am running a two-tone program where the first tone break goes to 22. I have also taken that first tone to 202hz and I think my iron volume is at 2. The second tone break 23-100 I have taken it to 835hz so the tones on nonferrous really jump out. Remember> nothing really ID's correctly in black sand anyway so just knowing ferrous or nonferrous is the important factor. 
My beach balances at 87 but I always run tracking and it helps with pockets of more concentrated black sand. 

Right now I can run magnetic accept, but in the summer my conditions were worse and was running reject. I have not tested depth between the two [but I should] 
There are other settings on the Deus 2 that can help black sand, which programs are you running and what are your settings? 

I run beach and beach sensetive in the wetter areas without black sand. In the black sand i customized beach where i turned up reactivity to 2.5 and notched out 0-15 and 65-88. I get lots of iron falsing in the 80s and 70s is almosy always aluminum for me. Ive repeated this same setup with "beach p" but i dont really like pitch tones.

9 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

customized beach where i turned up reactivity to 2.5 and notched out 0-15 and 65-88.

I am not really sure why you would do that [notching]? Reactivity too high for my taste. Where is your salt at? Try not to go below 7.  

If you cannot run Beach, why not try the dive program? Beach and Dive are the same when it comes to gold chains. Dive may get you considerable huntable depth with less filters. Also> Set a dive program up and check iffy targets. 

9 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

I get lots of iron falsing in the 80s and 70s is almosy always aluminum for me.

Iron falsing can come in anywhere. I think any notching above 28 is not good for beach hunting. You have to learn some of these iron signals by sound [not notching] and a 360 look at the target.

I highly recommend a two-tone program for Black Sand with the first bin stopping at 22. This will help greatly with black sand and some low iron wrap. 

When you have doubtful targets, take the sensitivity up 2-3 notches just to look at that one target, also if needed take a scoop out and check for target changes. Almost always nonferrous will sound better.  

I notch it because its the only way ive found it tolerable to run in one area. There are literally hundreds of ferrous targets and i just have seemed to do better notching and it doesnt make my ears bleed hearing random mid 80s tones every 3 inches. And yes, theyre all real iron targets. Ive yet to dig anything in the 70s or 80s in that area that wasnt trash. 

I havent tried dive mode. Does it eliminate large iron and iron falsing? 

19 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

And yes, theyre all real iron targets. Ive yet to dig anything in the 70s or 80s in that area that wasnt trash. 

I havent tried dive mode. Does it eliminate large iron and iron falsing? 

I am not sure how many beach hunters experience iron wrap-around. [I do] and it is a PIA. 
There is no carpet of iron here, but I go have plenty of iron targets. However, I dig very few, mostly because I recognize the target sounds bad and these throw numbers in the 70's. The 1-2- and 5-peso coins are part ferrous and nonferrous. So, I sort through these, maybe a 100 plus in 3-4 hours. To me there is a big difference on how iron sounds. If you are looking for something to silent search in heavy iron, I do not think you will find any machine.

Talking about numbers> Black sand and salt does not give good numbers. I highly suggest learning what the difference in sounds are with some general TID numbers. If the target is deep enough to throw multiple numbers it cannot be trusted, but you should trust the range of numbers it is throwing.
Example: We were testing the Manticore, and my friend called me over to look at a fringe target he was going to pass on. While this target did not sound good to me after 360 inspection it kept throwing me a 43 every three sweeps or so. I told him I would dig it; he offered it back to me, I said no you should dig it. A couple of minutes later he showed me a gold ring in his scoop and a big smile! 

I also hunt the D2 with the 9" coil. Not sure what your using, my Deus stays dedicated to mostly water contact. That 9" coil is a dream to push through wave wash and it makes target recovery easy. The smaller coil will perform better in your case.

As for Dive mode> I am not sure this will do better in your location. Different frequencies my help. The only way to know is to set-up a program and try.  For the record, Beach P is the worse [I think] for iron wrap-around and getting good separation of ferrous and nonferrous targets.