Wedding Ring П

Hey everyone! My soon to be husband and I are hoping to create a wedding ring for both him and I with this stone he found while working out in the desert here in Arizona. We are trying to figure out what it is exactly. We thought maybe it was obsidian because of how sharp it is and flat... but when I took a photo for my Google image finder thing it said it was pink calcite... but when I google pink calcite it really doesn't look similar... Anyways I was hoping to hear from some actual people (not google) to get some real information... I've attached some photos...

As well if anyone might have experience or advice for turning it into rings it would be appreciated! Would it be possible to shape this kind of rock into a stone to set in a ring and/or set in a wedding band... thanks in advance for any replies! 

16810799238585940124390065322443.jpg

16810799458045573933963191444528.jpg

16810799692202796506131867939356.jpg

Looks like it might be a piece of blue lace agate.  There is a wide variety to the color and pattern, but a picture of a typical piece is attached.  If your stone scratches glass, that would be a good indicator of agate.  Agate will be much harder than calcite, but not as hard as ruby, sapphire or diamond.  Agate is relatively tough – I have dropped an agate slab on a concrete floor before without it breaking. I wouldn’t advise trying it too often...

Agate will be best if shaped and polished - don’t try to facet it.  I would try to make sure that the finished stone doesn’t have any fractures.  You’ll either need to go to a jeweler to have a ring custom-made to fit the stones, or you’ll have to have the stones cut to a predetermined size and shape to fit a standard ring.

Were you planning on turning this into a finished product yourself or were you going to take it to a jeweler or lapidary?  If you are planning on turning this into two rings, be aware that it will have to be cut in half, and the trim saw blade thickness will take a chunk out of the size.   Depending on what you envision for the final rings, you might need to find a larger piece.  There are Internet maps available of rock hounding locations in Arizona and what can be found at those locations.

You could always buy some rough stones online, but I am guessing you want the stone to be something he found and would prefer it to be out of a single piece, correct?

A55C71BA-AB3D-4017-BFAB-6ADDB2EFA9CD.png

• Like 1