First Time Dirt Fishing In 25 Years. History And Pics

I want to thank my friend Van for a wonderful time of detecting and sharing knowledge over the years!  Finally had the chance to work some VERY old ground in Mexico. I had challenges switching from the beach to land because of all the trash. It was tough going in many places. Like most copper coins they all come out bad here. Even though a lot of this is dry land the soil must be tough. Pulled many colonial coins buttons and other items. 

The scenery and beauty of a few of these locations were off the map. Most of these locations we hunted were in conjunction with the Camino Real. It is amazing how much of this is pretty hunted out. It takes lots of research and permissions to find good places in this day and age. 

Below is a picture where the cob and silver earring were located. A dry lakebed. Notice in the background the ruins of an old Hacienda.

image.png.2589c460007c525af1e09c185c3c2dae.png

A view of where we hunted in the Mountains on the Camino Real, where the silver 1851  1/4 real was found. 

image.png.d3d970ee43af16b7a133a942e382b2c3.png

• Like 5

A few coin and artifact pics. The gravy was a Cob Coin between 1585 and 1625. A colonial silver earing and a silver 1851 1/4 Real.

FYI>>>  Royal Road of the Interior Land

The Camino Real de Tierra Adentro (English: Royal Road of the Interior Land), also known as the Silver Route, was a Spanish 2,560-kilometre-long (1,590 mi) road between Mexico City and San Juan Pueblo (Ohkay Owingeh), New Mexico (in the modern U.S.), that was used from 1598 to 1882.

image.png.b6d9facf28392e77f0c8bd2af817fba4.png

image.png.d633c34633da60a4f97f1cb96dda14cf.png

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

What an adventure. Times like that are ones to remember. I'm so glad you found something nice. I wish you many more great hunts. Never stop Dirt Fishing, it's good for the nerves and your character!

• Like 1

Good to see you out doing something different...metal detecting is a great hobby there are so many different opportunities..

strick 

• Like 2

Wow what a good time we had I hope you come back to hunt to central Mexico I learn a lot from you on how to set the Manticore & D2 to pull dose small silver coins amongst all the iron and trash so important how you relate the reactivity with the sensitivity and tones the sweep speed and so much thanks 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice going on your first dirt hunt in a loooong time!

I'll be tearing myself away from the beaches in a few days and doing some dirt hunting in NY. Going back to the areas where I found some large cents, old buttons and a nice "Dandy Button" last year. Hoping for some silver this time.

• Like 1

Nice one man, love those cobs 👍 Glad you got a chance to do something different, and of course you did well. Congrats!

• Like 2