3 Coils On Legend / Depth Comparison

18 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

Quote:"It is [an assumption], but only to a very small degree, because the ground was encompassing most of the field with each coil tested."

I've no idea what "encompassing" is defined as, I would assume even with the coil pressed on the dirt, it would only encompass half of the field, the half below the coil.

I did previously say, "The vast majority of the field below the coil was still in the ground for each coil". When I mentioned the encompassing part again, I didn't repeat the "below the coil" words, because that part is an established given 🙂

I can't speak to your measuring tool, nor can I speak to the applicability of that measurement when it comes to my test. Your conclusion is based in theoretical numbers. My conclusion is based in empirical evidence that anyone can prove to themselves. As such, the fact remains 
that the more the sensitivity has to be reduced, the more the depth loss. When sensitivity has to be reduced significantly with a large coil due to EMI, it's better to use a smaller coil at or near maximum sensitivity. In such a case, not only would the depth be similar with the smaller coil, but the smaller coil also has the major advantage of comfort, and superior unmasking / separation characteristics.

On a side note, I did read a post from an engineer that said a 50% increase in coil transmit power, only equates to a maximum of about a 7% increase in depth on a coin sized target. It was in a reply about the Manti's "50% more power".

• The title was changed to 3 Coils On Legend / Depth Comparison