Earth Resistivity

I got a good laugh at that, Jason...thanks. I'm using the 32 bit version of Res2dinv. And yes...one reading at a time and then moving probes...makes me tired and bored just thinking about it. I'm going to buy enough material to make about 60 probes, so I can put them all in at once, and then just go from reading to reading...should be much faster, and more importantly "less boring"....Ha!

Jim

Hmm that's pretty cool! It's been one of those things that seemed too complicated to learn myself, but seeing you do this successfully inspires me to give it a try sometime. Seems like a pretty useful tool to have in the toolbox for prospecting.

10 hours ago, jasong said:

Hmm that's pretty cool! It's been one of those things that seemed too complicated to learn myself, but seeing you do this successfully inspires me to give it a try sometime. Seems like a pretty useful tool to have in the toolbox for prospecting.

Yes....and it really isn't that complicated. We also did a simple 2 probe method, which pretty well matched the dipole setup. In the 2 probe you just drive two probes in the ground at whatever distance you want, and read the input voltage, and the current, and calculate the resistance. The advantage is greater depth. The depth with that setup is equal to the probe spacing, which is roughly double what you get for a given spacing with the dipole array . But, you don't get as much info about what's down there. However, as a quick method to see if there's an anomalously low resistance anywhere as you move along, it's not bad. I found a spot in Calif. near the Nevada border 2 years ago, that has a bunch of copper oxides at an open fault zone over a 50' area. That's a perfect spot for a 2 probe test. I'm going to center over the zone, and do even steps down to see if there's a copper lode hiding down in there. If I get a really low resistance at some point I can do a full array to see what it might be.

Jim

Jason, we're going to be in the South Pass area in August. Right now my unit is on loan to the guy in Montana, but if I get it back in time, I'd be happy to meet you over there, and I can show you what I'm doing. I think you'll like it.

Jim

11 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Jason, we're going to be in the South Pass area in August. Right now my unit is on loan to the guy in Montana, but if I get it back in time, I'd be happy to meet you over there, and I can show you what I'm doing. I think you'll like it.

Jim

Cool let me know when you get there. I have a claim out there we could run it on, I'd definitely be interested to see how it works.