Letting Go

Its been 6 months as weekend detectorist.. Dug every signal of ID 98-99.. positive tones all directions with minor hint of iron.. usually the target was deep big iron around 12 to 15 inches. Not a single good target dug.. I wonder if anyone has dug a good deep target with the ID of 98-99. Btw I'm using the AT High conductor, AT Low conductor identified it as iron.. but I'm not so sure that AT low conductor max depth is identical as AT High conductor for inland relic site.. I'm ready (sort of) pass up targets that read 98-99

I've never hit a 98-99, but I'm on the beach only and run Beach Low and Beach Seawater. You sound like me with 30-31 pull tab territory. I have yet to dig anything decent or even different than a pull tab at 30-31. Why do people have to pull those things off the can? 😖

I hunt relic sites, I did the same as you thinking it could be something good but deep and instead iron.

What I do now is if at-hc give good signals but at-lc gives iron I move on.  If both at-hc and at-lc give positive signals I dig some dirt away and check the signal, if it gets worse with more iron I close up the hole and move on.  At-lc doesn't have the same max depth as at-hc but if its hitting it as iron I'm not gonna spend to much time on the signal. 

One other thing if I'm getting a good tight signal with some iron grunt I will investigate those as there's a possibility that its a good target with iron near it.  So with my experiences 98-99 signals have usually been iron.

Have you tried using the new stabilizer feature yet at your sites?

13 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I've never hit a 98-99, but I'm on the beach only and run Beach Low and Beach Seawater. You sound like me with 30-31 pull tab territory. I have yet to dig anything decent or even different than a pull tab at 30-31. Why do people have to pull those things off the can? 😖

yea man.. the pull tab range varies a lot too.. its like itchy butt crack.. shouldn't scratch it.. but..

9 hours ago, Yatahaze323 said:

Have you tried using the new stabilizer feature yet at your sites?

yes I did.. the stabilizer didn't help with deep faint target.. it turns the whisper tones to mixed irony tones even stabilizer at 2.. If I chase deep target I will set the manticore wide open.. for now its the recovery of 4, sensitivity 24 (with sensitivity boost function on the softkey shortcut). upper 6-7 with lower 3, no stabilizer no discriminations . The problem with changing modes is the need to reground balance (especially when chasing deep target)  and its quite a hassle to find clean spot 😄 . For carpet of iron patch. I think I'm better off using AT Low Conductor than stabilizer

If I read your post right, it seems that the issue is iron wrap around. If so:

It might be better to think of the detector's conductivity scale as a full circle instead of a line. As such, if the iron has a strong signal, it can "bleed" over to the high silver part of the conductivity scale. 

7 hours ago, Digalicious said:

If I read your post right, it seems that the issue is iron wrap around. If so:

It might be better to think of the detectors conductivity scale as a full circle instead of a line. As such, if the iron has a strong signal, it can "bleed" over to the high silver part of the conductivity scale. That's why I ignore or notch out the 2 highest ID segments on my detectors.

You are right man.. my thinking is,  there should be good targets that ID 98-99 too. Maybe I should just ignore or notch it out as you said and move on..

6 minutes ago, fishersari said:

You are right man.. my thinking is,  there should be good targets that ID 98-99 too. Maybe I should just ignore or notch it out as you said and move on..

About the highest that even a large dollar coin is going to ID at, is 97. So ya, notch out 98 and 99, and save yourself a lot of time and effort 🙂

So mad I sold my 3030, my 800, actually believing the hype about the Manti... no small coil yet, the update..not really sure what it did (for me)... 

Got half the hours sweeping as I did this time last year, very frustrated. Actually thinking of selling it, buying an 800 with coils (I've easily got well over 1200 hours on the 800) and hoping ML gets its sht together at some point

43 minutes ago, Medina said:

So mad I sold my 3030, my 800, actually believing the hype about the Manti... no small coil yet, the update..not really sure what it did (for me)... 

Got half the hours sweeping as I did this time last year, very frustrated. Actually thinking of selling it, buying an 800 with coils (I've easily got well over 1200 hours on the 800) and hoping ML gets its sht together at some point

Sorry to hear that man... May I know what is the problem for you with the manticore? if you willing to share of course.. If you already made up your mind.. just sell the manticore ASAP man.. cut the lost ... use a machine that you happy with.. at the end of the day its all about happiness and enjoying oneself

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 7:21 AM, fishersari said:

Sorry to hear that man... May I know what is the problem for you with the manticore? if you willing to share of course.. If you already made up your mind.. just sell the manticore ASAP man.. cut the lost ... use a machine that you happy with.. at the end of the day its all about happiness and enjoying oneself

199% my fault. I actually thought it was the low grade 3030 or replacement for the Etrac. Fell for the hype, the 3o3o has no equal.....yet, too heavy thats its problem, well, too heavy for 6 or 7 hours, got heavy for me around 2, the 800..all day machine. 

the tones, spent a little time couldn't quite get the distinction I wanted, where as on the others I could get nickels to chirp and signals on either side lower. The CTX would sound different on zinc pennies and wheaties (got video)  

I put 50 hours on it before the update, very difficult learning curve. I figured the CTX out after 30ish.

the common complaints about iron, tiny gold pieces like earrings, also in parks I noticed (in my dirt) that if coins were stacked, the signal was very misleading. almost skipped 3 quarters as the signal was 99, and on both sides of the centerline. 

Bottom line, it was 60% more money than the 800, a third less than the CTX, fcking thing should have performed as such..no extra coils, no talk of a sniper/4" type coil, THOSE are amazing in trash sites from colonial to current,  the falsing on iron. (does seem better after the update) headphones were m'eh. 

I'm assuming they'll do another update, release coils and I'll quit being a whiny bitch 😄