Come On A Safari With Meeeeeee

Just got a Safari to check out:

What is the BEST coil for DEEP Coins from any manufacturer?

Was the Sun Ray Probe worth having as compared to the Garrett Carrot?

I've used older detectors from Compass years ago, so heavy won't be an issue.
Despite the Safari being SLOW, I'm ok with that too and though most manufacturers instruction booklets tell you to swing off the ground and rather quick, I swing slower and scrub by trade. I use the original Simplex as my main machine and this type of shooting has not hurt me judging from the finds I have made, some at 9"+ depth using the SP22 coil.

I have read that some people used an oscilloscope to prove FBS was putting out only 2 frequencies, but those frequencies must be low enough to make this what others called it a Silver Vacuum. Heading out this week for the first time with it and will update if I find anything at my old haunt 🙂

Thanks for reading:
SF

My favorite FBS coil for deep coins is the NEL Tornado.  I also like the 15" Coiltek WOT; but, it is too heavy for continuous use.

The Sun Ray X1 probe is great for chasing deep coins.  I probably own half a dozen of them.  The Garrett Propointer is faster for finding shallow coins; however, the discrimination of the Sun Ray probe is ideal for deep coins.  If you have a deep silver coin in the hole, the probe will let you know in advance and put you on notice to dig carefully to avoid damaging the coin.  Conversely, if you're chasing deep iron, the probe will let you know to stop digging.  If you have a mix of coin and iron, the probe will let you know if the coin is in the hole or in the plug.  It's a fantastic time saver.

Thanks for the reply. As long as I have an idea of how deep the target is, I guess the carrot is still fine. Seems that the guy I got the Safari from, never told me the upper lock clip DOESN'T stay in place and slips out while swinging a short while. Will see if I can shim with a plastic knife blade or just tape it in place.

Of course this isn't a solution if I want to change coils, but it'll get me some shooting hours.

The settings I'm planning to go with, with the stock coil are:
Sensitivity 17, Threshold 12, Trash Density is Low, I notched out -10 to 13, 16 to 29 and 40.
The threshold will come into play when I wear headphones, then I can lower it.
The school I will be using it at, has very little trash. I believe I saw the Trash Density on Low gives better depth.

When I was a kid in 1979 (14) and got my Bounty Hunter 840, I use to tune the machine and then press the tuning button to get a slight hum. I'd always say I "de-tuned" the machine. It was the slight break in the hum that enabled me to find deeper targets, more so than other people who just listened for loud blips.
Funny how years later, its documented as a threshold break.

I will check out those 2 coils. Amazing there are so many available for the FBS as they're all interchangeable.

SF