Can Gpx 5000 Work Near Powerlines Without Being Affected By Emi?

detector

• The title was changed to Can Gpx 5000 Work Near Powerlines Without Being Affected By Emi?

It can work perfectly under power lines with an Anti-Interference coil, the depth you receive seems to be on par with the DD from what I can tell but smoother running

Both Coiltek and Detech make them.  This was with my GPX 4500, it works even better with my 5000.

No, I think you'll encounter EMI problems, you can go to cancel but performance is affected, lowering sensitivity will help a fair bit but likely not resolve it.  

Are you after big targets or small? As that really determines the settings you can use that will help mitigate EMI.

9 minutes ago, phrunt said:

No, I think you'll encounter EMI problems, you can go to cancel but performance is affected, lowering sensitivity will help a fair bit but likely not resolve it.  

Are you after big targets or small? As that really determines the settings you can use that will help mitigate EMI.

big targets, from 15 cm diameter and above

Worst case scenario you could go into Cancel with the DD to cut out the power lines but you'll lose some performance, not sure how much on big targets with a big coil though you would have to experiment.

The other thing you could do is change the swing speed (motion) setting, the faster it's set the less EMI it lets in, most just go to slow and very slow to get the best sensitivity/depth but you can change it to a faster setting such as normal to let less EMI in and I can't see it affecting the performance on the size targets you're after much.

Timings change EMI too so experiment with the best, normal or sharp might do the trick, I like coin and relic for detecting deep coins around here but it might be a bit too EMI heavy near power lines with a large DD but works well with an AI coil.

Adjusting your stabaliser setting would be beneficial to cutting out EMI too, so you'll have to experiment with that.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Worst case scenario you could go into Cancel with the DD to cut out the power lines but you'll lose some performance, not sure how much on big targets with a big coil though you would have to experiment.

The other thing you could do is change the swing speed (motion) setting, the faster it's set the less EMI it lets in, most just go to slow and very slow to get the best sensitivity/depth but you can change it to a faster setting such as normal to let less EMI in and I can't see it affecting the performance on the size targets you're after much.

Timings change EMI too so experiment with the best, normal or sharp might do the trick, I like coin and relic for detecting deep coins around here but it might be a bit too EMI heavy near power lines with a large DD but works well with an AI coil.

Adjusting your stabaliser setting would be beneficial to cutting out EMI too, so you'll have to experiment with that.

I don't have the device yet to experiment, I just want make sure it works in such conditions similar to what we have in my area before buying. gpx 5000 cost 5k$ here.

If you can afford the GPZ 7000 it is far superior in standard configuration against EMI and will give great depth even under power lines and handles them well.  The GPX 6000 can handle powerlines quite well also, especially with it's DD coil in interference mode.  The 5000's the worst of the 3 at handling EMI without an Anti-Interference coil.

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

If you can afford the GPZ 7000 it is far superior in standard configuration against EMI and will give great depth even under power lines and handles them well.  The GPX 6000 can handle powerlines quite well also, especially with it's DD coil in interference mode.  The 5000's the worst of the 3 at handling EMI without an Anti-Interference coil.

no, unfortunately i can't. too expensive for me. GPZ 7000 is 9k

what is the maximum range of EMI waves from powerlines? 400-500meters?

The bigger the coil the worse it is, but yes, high voltage lines can cause an affect many hundreds of meters away and the bigger the coil the worse it is. 

400-500 meters would be within a range of possibly causing problems.

You're on the right track using a DD coil over a mono which is less affected by EMI.

And adjusting settings to suit the conditions will help.