Does The F19 Just Use One Coil Rubber Washer?

I vaguely remember my Gold Bug Pro only used one rubber on the shaft for the coil, I think I remember reading it in the manual or maybe I just couldn't fit both it's been so long I don't remember, I was trying to track down the Gold Bug Pro manual yesterday to verify this but the Fisher website is broken and manuals can't download, I've since re-discovered this forum being the wonderful resource it is has all the manuals so I'll check, but that doesn't change the fact I need to know if the F19 is meant to only use one too? I would assume so being the same detector.  It came with 2 rubbers on the coil bolt and the shaft has the place for both rubbers, but when I try it seems like I'd snap my ears off by using both and these Fisher coils have paper thin ears so I don't want to risk it.

I couldn't see anywhere in the F19 manual that discussed the rubbers but found this page showing the elements of the shaft, it looks like it was written by someone on the heavy stuff, the entire manual has bits through it that look like someone was not in their normal state of mind when they wrote it.    It doesn't mention the rubbers at all.

f19manualfaulty.thumb.jpg.18aa47491c5ec1b21c9b891a6bcd6e22.jpg

I sourced the manual from here

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I vaguely remember my Gold Bug Pro only used one rubber on the shaft for the coil, I think I remember reading it in the manual or maybe I just couldn't fit both it's been so long I don't remember, I was trying to track down the Gold Bug Pro manual yesterday to verify this but the Fisher website is broken and manuals can't download, I've since re-discovered this forum being the wonderful resource it is has all the manuals so I'll check, but that doesn't change the fact I need to know if the F19 is meant to only use one too? I would assume so being the same detector.  It came with 2 rubbers on the coil bolt and the shaft has the place for both rubbers, but when I try it seems like I'd snap my ears off by using both and these Fisher coils have paper thin ears so I don't want to risk it.

I couldn't see anywhere in the F19 manual that discussed the rubbers but found this page showing the elements of the shaft, it looks like it was written by someone on the heavy stuff, the entire manual has bits through it that look like someone was not in their normal state of mind when they wrote it.    It doesn't mention the rubbers at all.

f19manualfaulty.thumb.jpg.18aa47491c5ec1b21c9b891a6bcd6e22.jpg

I sourced the manual from here

My new F-19 shipped direct from FT in El Paso (purchased on e-bay) has 2 red rubber washers...  

7 minutes ago, Gold Dust Ernie Jr said:

My new F-19 shipped direct from FT in El Paso (purchased on e-bay) has 2 red rubber washers...  

I found it in the GBP manual where it clearly states you only use one washer, so I'm wondering if the second washer they provide with the new F19 is just a spare, and using both washers when you're not meant to might put undue stress on the tiny little thin coil ears? 

gbpmanualwasher.jpg.ebe1d18b32e67e966c919a46379a2804.jpg

gbpmanualwasher2.thumb.jpg.9345d562afb0235faf504f4ccbed7080.jpg

Kinda strange.  My Gold Bug Pro hardcopy manual assembly illustration (supplied with the detector) shows "Single Rubber Washer" similar to your GBP manual.  Also on page 34 titled Relic-Hunting and Coin-Shooting with the Optional 11" DD Searchcoil  it states: "DO NOT install a rubber washer at the searchcoil conncetion point."  Now, what about the 5"x10" coil??

FWIW I've always operated mine with both washers, regardless of coil.  (I have 5", 5"x10", and 7"x11".)  I wouldn't do that if it didn't fit reasonably well; I don't force things.  I wonder if these recommendations of zero or one washer have something to do with ease of rotation and reduction of wear.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Kinda strange.  My Gold Bug Pro hardcopy manual assembly illustration (supplied with the detector) shows "Single Rubber Washer" similar to your GBP manual.  Also on page 34 titled Relic-Hunting and Coin-Shooting with the Optional 11" DD Searchcoil  it states: "DO NOT install a rubber washer at the searchcoil conncetion point."  Now, what about the 5"x10" coil??

FWIW I've always operated mine with both washers, regardless of coil.  (I have 5", 5"x10", and 7"x11".)  I wouldn't do that if it didn't fit reasonably well; I don't force things.  I wonder if these recommendations of zero or one washer have something to do with ease of rotation and reduction of wear.

I'm not sure, it's a bit of a worry though, those FT coil ears are super thin.  I rarely use their stock coils so probably not a problem for me, if it's not the Snake on the detector it's the Detech Ultimate, but I store my spare 19kHz detectors with a coil on them, and one of those coils is the 10x5", and that detector I've put both rubbers on.

Maybe @Geotech will know the answer to this? 

No idea, just use whatever gives a just-snug fit. Too much washer or too little will stress the ears. Probably that's what this is all about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Geotech said:

No idea, just use whatever gives a just-snug fit. Too much washer or too little will stress the ears. Probably that's what this is all about.

My recent F19 purchase had washers that didn't quite fit into the lower shaft and were a tight fit for the coil ears too. I just sanded them down a bit until they fit better. Not the first time I have needed to do that on several different brand detectors.

• Like 1

I  just looked in my GB-PRO-DP manual and it shows only one washer for the 5" round and also the 11" oval.  Not sure about the 5x10.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

My recent F19 purchase had washers there didn't quite fit into the lower shaft and were a tight fit for the coil ears too. I just sanded them down a bit until they fit better. Not the first time I have needed to do that on several different brand detectors.

I used the much tougher ears of my Nel Snake to crush the 2 washers down into the shaft, prior to doing that no way was I going to get the 10x5" Fisher coil on without bending the ears right out and fear of breaking them, after the Snake was used for a bit now the 10x5" goes on fine.  I'm still not clear if I am meant to use both washers, judging by the GBP manual I'm probably not supposed to use both, and one does seem ample, it works fine with one and doesn't appear to bend the ears inwards.  The 10x5" ears seem so thin but they must be tough, you don't hear of people breaking them, even with this confusion around the washers.

There is no confusion for me. The F19 lower shaft has indents on both sides for washers and comes with two. I doubt that FTP manufactures those washers. They probably source them and perfect fit is obviously not happening currently. I would rather slightly stress the 10x5 coil ears with rubber on both sides than have rubber on one side and have hard plastic vs hard plastic with no cushion on the other side. 

• Like 1