Stacked Spiral Coil Windings

I was looking through several different coil manufacturers websites and trying to see if any of them offered stacked spiral coils outside of the GPX-6000 coils. There coil descriptions are usually pretty vague and I could not find anything mentioning stacked spiral windings.

From what I have been told the stacked spiral or also called semi-spiral coils for the 6000 our stacked 6 wide and 5 high. This windings type gives the 6000 great depth on small bits.

Has anyone heard of or used this stacked type of coil windings on any non GPX -6000 coils. 

• The title was changed to Stacked Spiral Coil Windings

yep, the 12x6" X-coil for the GPX 4500/5000 was one, it and all of their GPX coils went out of production a couple of years ago though, but maybe their GPX coils will be making a return sometime soon due to the Algoforce increasing demand again.

Thanks Simon,

Did you ever get a chance to try one out, curious to know what kind of performance it had working on the 4500/5000 timings. 
Interesting that they discontinued it, seems like it would offer a good balance between a bundle and full spiral.

5 minutes ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

Thanks Simon,

Did you ever get a chance to try one out, curious to know what kind of performance it had on the 4500/5000 timings. 
Interesting that they discontinued it, seems like it would offer a good balance between a bundle and full spiral.

The 10" Full Spiral X-coil was more sensitive than the 12x6" Semi-Spiral, but the 12x6" was more sensitive than the 10x5" bundle wound coil I've got so it had its sensitivity benefits, I didn't own a Sadie at the time and haven't compared it now that I do have one but I still think the 12x6" will be more sensitive than the 8x5" Sadie, it was a good way to get some spiral windings into a smaller coil as we know coils like the Nugget Finder Sadie at 8x5" is less sensitivte to small gold than a bigger spiral coil like the 10".   The 12x6" worked well on the GPX, I still have one, it worked particularly well on the QED with its adjustable pulse rates and it loved the lowest pulse rate on the QED and was pretty good on that detector, and quite popular in the QED community.

A big part of the reason they discontinued all GPX coils is they're cheaper coils to sell, and with Covid and the increased shipping prices associated with that they became no longer viable to sell.  Prices have retreated a bit since then though.

Thanks for the reply and detailed response Simon, great info!

I hope there’s a revival of these smaller coils with these winding configurations, would be a great idea and a top seller.

I would like to get a 7x12” or a 10x5” like the Exceed and Goldhawk offerings for the  5 pin detectors.

Both the NF 12x8 mono for legacy GPX and the Coiltek 9" Elite are twin stack flatties as well. Anything under 11" is gonna need stacking.....otherwise, there's not enuff room. 

Thanks Aureous for the additional information.

Do you know how wide and high the 11” and under coil windings are? Are they always two high and  however wide?

2 hours ago, Aureous said:

Both the NF 12x8 mono for legacy GPX and the Coiltek 9" Elite are twin stack flatties as well. Anything under 11" is gonna need stacking.....otherwise, there's not enuff room. 

True, but the 10” X-coil isn’t stacked, they used another trick, I wondered how Coiltek did their 9” and now it makes sense, also why I think my 10” is more sensitive than the 9”

That Trick X coil use not to stack on the 10" do you know what it is? Smaller diameter Litz?

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

True, but the 10” X-coil isn’t stacked, they used another trick,

31 minutes ago, Norvic said:

That Trick X coil use not to stack on the 10" do you know what it is? Smaller diameter Litz?

Same wire.  Just done a bit differently.  I'm not meant to reveal the secret not that I completely understand it, it hasn't been duplicated at this stage which other coil technologies often are, as soon as one manufacturer does something the rest are sure to follow.    The 10" came out nearer to the end of them selling GPX coils and not many were sold compared to the other sizes so I guess nobody got their hands one that wanted to chop it up.