8 Inch Coil?

I’ve just got my MANTICORE a couple of weeks ago and so far I’m happy with it….I’m wondering if there is a practical use for getting the 8 inch coil for this beast…. I basically hunt beaches & tot lots here in the South Bay Area of Los Angeles…… any ideas or suggestions ?

• The title was changed to 8 Inch Coil?

45 minutes ago, Al F said:

I’ve just got my MANTICORE a couple of weeks ago and so far I’m happy with it….I’m wondering if there is a practical use for getting the 8 inch coil for this beast…. I basically hunt beaches & tot lots here in the South Bay Area of Los Angeles…… any ideas or suggestions ?

You'll find with some time with it, that in some places you'll just need for a smaller coil...

Aniway the M8 isn't the all round coil, like it isn't every other one... Conditions dictates which one can suits better for the job...

Eroded patches among rocks with multiple targets concentration and You need an M8...

Thick new sand and large spaces to cover and You need the M15...

Casually the M11 in the box can do almost the same thing being in the middle...As soon as You realise what You want, then will be the time to choose one.And one more, and one more again🤣...

As an example, I'm beating my right hand to avoid buying the brand new M9...

I don't even mentioned it among what's available for a reason....Still trying to understand when and where to obtain a payback for it.

If your tot lots are trashy, the M8 may help in giving you better target separation than the M11. The M8 may help you at the beach only if your arm gets tired too soon swinging the M11 or if you water hunt it will cut through the water easier. I prefer the M11 for coverage at the beach because I don't have a problem swinging it for 5 hours.

You may want to investigate the new M9 and see if that may be a better option. It is actually lighter than the M8 and may be easier in the water plus have a bit more coverage.

M11= 17.6 oz

M8= 14.1 oz

M9= 12.7 oz

6 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I prefer the M11 for coverage at the beach because I don't have a problem swinging it for 5 hours.

Come on Brad.....I thought you were swinging the manly M15 coil down at the beach and not that wimpy M11 🤪

I swung the M15 the other day for about 5 hours and I was pleased that my arm and shoulder survived okay. I was planning to use the counter-weight but completely forgot to use it.

Now if Minelab decide to release a roundish M16 coil then I'd buy one straight away !

That M8 sure seems a lot lighter than the 11". It sure seems lighter than just 3.5 oz.. I like it and use it when I can. I have not found a silver with it yet, but also have not used it a lot yet either.

I love the M8.  It's my favorite coil to use on the Manticore.  And I have found a number of silvers and a few gold nuggets with it so far.

I did not realize the M9 is even lighter.  I did realize it has significantly more surface area (coverage and depth) than the M8.  But I like the M8 so much, I had decided to pass on the M9.  But more coverage and possible a bit more depth, and even lighter than the M8...  I have no will power at all.  Ft. Bedford is showing them in stock.  So...  Yeah, I have no will power.  It's ordered...

I don't see it replacing the M8 for nugget hunting.  But, I'm curious.  Guess I'll find out.

- Dave

7 hours ago, Tony said:

Come on Brad.....I thought you were swinging the manly M15 coil down at the beach and not that wimpy M11 🤪

😆 I swing the M15 for 5 hours easy in the water. Sand hunting is a different story. I find myself taking short "pauses" after an hour or so resting the coil on the sand for a moment. Haven't tried the counter weight thing yet. My stork leg shaft being longer than the standard Manticore shaft further throws it out of balance. Another thing that helps in the water beyond buoyancy is that I tend to scrape the bottom a lot more than when I'm dry hunting since you don't have to worry about collecting sand on top of your coil. Really love covering the extra ground with it in the water. I feel like I'm covering twice the ground than the other hunters in the same amount of time. One step ahead of the competition!

A pair of Indians that were in a bed of nails with the M8 yesterday.

thumbnail_IMG_1576.thumb.jpg.8a077964c9114c8f90723c29fbadaf9c.jpg

- Dave