Going With The 900

Bob38

After the struggling with the decision of which detector to buy between the Manticore or the Nox 900, Ive decided to go with the 900. I was on a waiting list for several weeks for the Manticore. My reasons was the Nox 800 is a proven machine and with the expanded VDI range I thought this will help out a bunch. Secondly, I love the 10x6 eliptical coiltek which is a killer for my detecting style (heavy iron). Third, is the faster chip set. Four, is the build quality. Although I had no problems with coil ears, wobbly shaft, and broken arm cuff, I always thought that the 800 was a serious hunter. The light and vibrating handle was no factor in my decision making. I thought the 2D screen may be way too distracting on the Manticore due to the concentrations of iron I have to contend with, but I do like the audio themes. An finally, I REALLY didn't like the way Minelab had decided to short-sheet the smaller dealers who has served me and others so well in the past and favored Bass Pro and Cabelas. Nothing against those two stores they are great, but the smaller dealers know their stuff. So I woke up this morning and decided to get off the stupid waiting list and go forward with the 900. High Plains Prospectors was very understanding and was very happy with my decision. I also told them that when/if the time comes I will deal when them on the Manticore.   

I will wait a year to see what develops on the Manticore. I do believe the Manticore is/will be a knock-out machine and the day will come when I may have one, but it will not be soon. The 800 and Deus I and II have found me alot of great things. Knowing that the 900 will be here on Monday gives assurance that my Deus II and Nox 900 will continue to be a one-two punch. 

Call this a celebration vent

• Like 8

I think you made a good decision.  Since I use the 800 and can say it's enough for me at this point in time.

The expanded numbers will allow more information on targets.  If you will narrow down your pin pointing you can get a good idea if the target is roundish or elongated. 

• Like 2

The only losers in this are Minelab, with the detectors costing similar to make they end up losing their profit difference between the two detectors which is quite significant.

I'm sure you're not alone doing this.  Can't loose either way, both are good detectors.

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

The only losers in this are Minelab, with the detectors costing similar to make they end up losing their profit difference between the two detectors which is quite significant.

I'm sure you're not alone doing this.  Can't loose either way, both are good detectors.

Hi Simon can I ask you now that you have had Time with the Manticore are you impressed or slightly disappointed with it ? I ask as I will have chance to buy one from my dealer when the next batch arrives which I am told will be in 2 to 3 weeks. I am still teetering on the fence and can't quite convince myself that it's $$$$$ better than the 900. Appreciate anything you can say on the matter. Thx

Thx Simon appreciate the in depth response and the time it took to write it. Glad your happy with your purchase I have decided now that I will buy the Manticore and have fun learning how to master it, I will keep my 800 as a back up. Thx again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 12:53 PM, phrunt said:

As for coins, hands down happy with the Manticore for a few reasons, I hunt in very mild soils and don't have a lot of trash so my opinion on mineralized soil or high trash areas would be worthless, however for my conditions its proving to be a great detector, it's better than the Nox 800 for EMI, I would say very noticeably better there, and the long EMI press actually works, and works very well. and I believe that's missing off the 900?

Phrunt,  I would assume that the upgrade in the chip technology for the Nox 900 over the 800, would be just as good as the Manitcore's when it comes to detecting around high EMI areas?  Maybe I should hold off on purchasing the 900 and lean more towards the Manticore?  Have any of you that use the Nox 900 experienced a significant change in dealing with higher than normal EMI transmission spots?

3 minutes ago, Jason-NEK said:

Phrunt,  I would assume that the upgrade in the chip technology for the Nox 900 over the 800, would be just as good as the Manitcore's when it comes to detecting around high EMI areas? 

I'm not so sure, they say this on the website for the Manticore, no mention of boosted EMI immunity for the Nox 900

EMI.jpg.1d80707741f4dbe35be5044b8ce3f52b.jpg

Part of the EMI improvements for the Manticore are its new quick and long noise cancel methods.

NC.jpg.b2ee1afb901e23104cd5aaed1f1206f8.jpg

The Continuous noise cancel works very well and I wish they'd figured that out before releasing the GPX 6000, a far more expensive detector with a worse noise cancel released not too long before the Manticore.

• Like 1