Legend V1.13 Update

MFF18B

10 hours ago, Tometusns said:

Got it today and going out tomorrow but I can tell you right now I love it. Definitely worth the wait.
I haven't tried out the discriminate feature yet but just the ability to come thru the headphones was the main thing I wanted. Nokta you have made a very cool pin pointer. Thanks!!!

Personally I have been very disappointed in it.  From heavy falsing in air and soil, to poor...very poor soil depth. I'm talking I've never picked up anything over 1 inch in the dirt.  I really wanted to love this pinpointer.  The headphones and connecting with the Legend are fantastic, though.  Just would like at least another inch in the dirt.

When I first heard that Nokta was working on a new pinpointer, I thought for sure it would have a screen, be PI, and have a holster on / off switch of some sort. Well, I got 1 of 3 right!

Then after finding out it was a 20 khz VLF, my next thought was, "20 khz might not give the greatest ground penetration in mild ground, but may in higher mineralized ground". Although of the few actual hunts I've seen with hunters testing it, not one complained about depth issues. So my theory may be totally wrong 🙂

I'd sure like to know why Nokta decided against the Accupoint being a PI, and why they chose 20 khz. Perhaps it has something to do with detector / pinpointer interference noise? But, frequency shifting seems to work very well to mitigate pinpointer interference. Everyone here knows that I think SMF frequency shifting on detectors is useless for EMI noise reduction. Reason being, the source of the noise is wideband, and so is the SMF receiver. But, noise reduction works great as long as either the source, or the receiver, is narrowband. In this regard, a pinpointer is narrowband, so frequency shifting is very effective. 

55 minutes ago, CTidwell said:

Personally I have been very disappointed in it.  From heavy falsing in air and soil, to poor...very poor soil depth. I'm talking I've never picked up anything over 1 inch in the dirt.  I really wanted to love this pinpointer.  The headphones and connecting with the Legend are fantastic, though.  Just would like at least another inch in the dirt.

Of the many written reviews and video reviews, that's the first I've heard of complaints regarding depth or falsing. Maybe you have a defective unit?

Do you have highly mineralized ground? Did you try a frequency shift to see if the falsing stops?

I don't think I've ever seen a real life dirt video review.  Just people unboxing it, a few air testing it, then singing its praises without actually even using it.
It's performed poorly since I got it during the beta test.  Air testing did fine, around 3 inches for most coins.  Hunting in the dirt I couldn't find targets til I was literally right on them.  Did some slow recovery with measuring the hole from when I finally got a signal and when I recovered the item, and it was always 1 inch (give or take maybe an 1/8 inch either way depending on target).  Even on shallow targets (per the Legend), I couldn't detect them from the surface with the Accupoint.  So I'd dig a shallow plug maybe 2 inches deep.  Just peel back the grass, really.  Nothing in the hole or bottom of the plug from the Accupoint.  Legend would say it's in the shallow plug, but I'd have to dissect the plug into bits until the Acupoint was almost touching it before getting a signal.  Very disheartening.
Ground balances at between 9 and 12 (depending on site).  Tried changing freq to alleviate falsing, but to no avail.
Short pressing the power button does retune it and stop the falsing, but everytime you do that you lose a little sensitivity.  So when it was giving such a piss poor depth performance already, I didn'nt like having to cripple it further just to be able to use it at all.
Since I was beta testing, I told Nokta about all of this, but received no reply.
I also have a Dr Otek MT6 Pro that I had purchased until my Accupoint arrived (my Tek Point finally died after about 7 years), and I have found that the Accupoint is as weak a pinpointer as that cheap POS.  Only thing it's got over the Dr Otek is that the Dr Otek is really sluggish, requiring you to hover over an in-range target for about a second or more before it will give a tone.

45 minutes ago, CTidwell said:

I don't think I've ever seen a real life dirt video review.  

There's real life dirt videos on YouTube. Here's a couple of them:

NOKTA LEGEND (FIELD HUNTING Can It Be Relied Upon?) ACCUPOINT (NOKTANANA) METAL DETECTING PINPOINTER - YouTube

First Hunt with the Nokta Nana - YouTube

I would be really surprised if Nokta put out a pinpointer that had poor depth and heavy falsing. Plus, I've read and seen pretty much everything out there from testers (including off the record testers). Not one of them reported depth or air falsing issues. The only complaint was pairing lag, but Nokta fixed that with the update.

So, given that so far, you are the only one experiencing those issues, then isn't it a possibility that you may have a defective pinpointer?

27 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

So, given that so far, you are the only one experiencing those issues, then isn't it a possibility that you may have a defective pinpointer?

I'll check those out.  But I'm not the only one.  I talked with 2 other beta testers that were experiencing the same issues.  Again, 3 or 4 out of however many they made isn't bad I suppose.  Unless you're the one that got stuck with the piece of crap.

42 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Ah this is why I haven't watched it.  Texan Detector dude annoys the hell out of me.  I never watch any of his crap.  hahaha
First video has Accupoint in the title, but he didn't break it out once the entire video.

4 minutes ago, CTidwell said:

I'll check those out.  But I'm not the only one.  I talked with 2 other beta testers that were experiencing the same issues.  Again, 3 or 4 out of however many they made isn't bad I suppose.  Unless you're the one that got stuck with the piece of crap.

Nope. I don't have one.

It's the first run of a new product, and for whatever reason, pinpointers are a finicky product to make. Given those two aspects, I wouldn't be surprised if a few are defective.

Put it this way, if there were inherent issues as you described, then after the NDA, the main Legend's Facebook page, etc, would be filled with those complaints. Yet, that didn't occur. Nor did it occur on any other social media site.

5 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Put it this way, if there were inherent issues as you described, then after the NDA, the main Legend's Facebook page, etc, would be filled with those complaints. Yet, that didn't occur. Nor did it occur on any other social media site.

I have seen at least one person on the FB page go into detail about the problems as soon as we were released from the NDA, and they were pretty much just as I described above.

And please don't take me for a Nokta-hater.  I adore my Legend and I really like the company.  I wanted to love my Accupoint, but so far that hasn't been the case.  Maybe I'm just spoiled at getting at least 3 inches depth with my first batch Tek Point for so long.

34 minutes ago, CTidwell said:

And please don't take me for a Nokta-hater.  I adore my Legend and I really like the company.  I wanted to love my Accupoint, but so far that hasn't been the case.  Maybe I'm just spoiled at getting at least 3 inches depth with my first batch Tek Point for so long.

I assure you that in no way am I taking you for a Nokta hater. Rather, I'm looking at the situation in an objective manner. "Seeing the big picture" so to speak.

On a side note, I did have the Tek Point at one time, and when it comes to depth, the PI pinpointers smoke the VLF pinpointers. Problem was, most of the time my Tek Point was going nuts in the air and in the ground. I tried everything in the book to remedy it. I even tried different locations and turning off my Legend. All of it to no avail. Turned out, it was defective right out of the box.

My hunting season is pretty much over now, but come spring, I'm either going to get the Accupoint, or get another Tek Point.