Garrett Axiom Update In The Works

I just spotted this on the new Garrett Direct website:

garrett-axiom-update.png

The Axiom is updateable via the same process that is used by the Garrett Apex.

The current firmware version is displayed for a split second when you first turn on the Axiom. The top ground balance number will show 01 and the bottom one 47. A blank position in the bar across the top in the final .2 part. The graphic below shows what I see when I turn my Axiom on. It is so fast you might have to do it repeatedly to take in all the info. If you so much as blink you will miss it. And just so nobody asks, I'm not involved in or testing any updates so can offer no clues as to what is in the works.

garrett-axiom-firmware-version-display.jpg

• The title was changed to Garrett Axiom Update In The Works

Thanks Steve. I had searched the Garrett website earlier when I purchased my Axiom at the beginning of September.  Now I just have to find a friend with a Windows or Mac when they release an update. (Lobbying Garrett here...I've got a Chromebook, so if Garrett were to have a download client for Android or Linux (both run on Chromebooks) the rest of us nerds would be golden. 🤓

That's pretty exciting, I wonder what they've improved/changed, I look forward to finding out.

Good on Garrett for doing an update.

Thank you for decoding the firmware version identification on the display….this is how most manufacturers who supply to the GOV/MIL side deal with software version identification on static displays. I have military solar controllers that use the power and fault indicator lights to display firmware using a series of flashes that you will miss if you don’t pay attention (like you stated).

This doesn’t show up on my Garrett Direct site so I’ll wait and see. I don’t even know if the Axiom product registration process works yet, since it’s missing as a product in the Garrett Direct site and the main site back when the detector came out.

7 hours ago, All_Metal_Mode said:

Thank you for decoding the firmware version identification on the display….this is how most manufacturers who supply to the GOV/MIL side deal with software version identification on static displays. I have military solar controllers that use the power and fault indicator lights to display firmware using a series of flashes that you will miss if you don’t pay attention (like you stated).

This doesn’t show up on my Garrett Direct site so I’ll wait and see. I don’t even know if the Axiom product registration process works yet, since it’s missing as a product in the Garrett Direct site and the main site back when the detector came out.

Interesting. The Axiom update notice I posted a copy of has disappeared from the website. It was right above the Apex notice and now it’s gone. Does this mean no update? I kind of doubt it since somebody coded the feature on somebody’s orders, so probably just got published before intended. Which means don't hold your breath. Ultimately it is gone and I don’t know. But at least it gave me an excuse to tell you all how to get the version info off your machine.

As far as Axiom being on the registration page they were late in getting it there but it is there now at https://garrett.com/sport/warranty-registration

IMG_4707.jpeg

Garrett’s site was down for about 36 hours. I was trying to download the Axiom manual. It came back up last night 10/10/23. 

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Interesting. The Axiom update notice I posted a copy of has disappeared from the website. It was right above the Apex notice and now it’s gone. Does this mean no update? I kind of doubt it since somebody coded the feature on somebody’s orders, so probably just got published before intended. Which means don't hold your breath. Ultimately it is gone and I don’t know. But at least it gave me an excuse to tell you all how to get the version info off your machine.

As far as Axiom being on the registration page they were late in getting it there but it is there now at https://garrett.com/sport/warranty-registration

IMG_4707.jpeg

I will probably go re-register then. I did something wonky using the “other” category and typed in the model and S/N. With the warranty changed from 2 to 3 years it’s well worth redoing.

I checked the day you posted this and it didn’t come up for me so your guess is what I assumed, that they are coding it in for a future update or to let people reload their firmware if factory resets don’t sort out problems. I was surprised at an update this soon anyway, nothing I’m seeing from other users indicates anything needs tweaking yet on the firmware side which is kudos to Garrett.

I found this document interesting, it has the changelog of the firmware updates, but it bunches the Axiom in with the Apex which is kinda weird, like putting the VW beetle in with a Porcher 911.

INFORMATION This release brings your Apex and Axiom up to date with all improvements made since its introduction.

Some of these enhancements include:

Improved overall stability
Faster and more accurate ground balance in saltwater
More accurate pinpointing
More distinctive tones to better differentiate good targets from iron
Backlight powers on temporarily while making Menu change

See the document at the link below, not sure what's going on there with the Apex updates being included on the Axiom?   I guess some of those improvements could be done on the Axiom also like improved stability and backlight adjustments.

Download-Guides-Axiom-and-Apex.pdf (garrett.com)