Big VLF Coils..

A recent post about Coiltek releasing a new 18'' coil for the Equinox series sparked an online search to find out who else makes big (17'' plus) coils for VLF detectors.. Here's some them..  

Nokta Invenio 22x19''.png  

Nokta Invenio 22x19''

Detech SEF Pro 21×17″.png 

Detech SEF Pro 21×17″

Detech SEF 18x15''.png 

Detech SEF 18x15''

Detech Excelerator 18″.png 

Detech Excelerator 18″

Coiltek 18''.png 

Coiltek 18''

Nel Big 17x15''.png 

Nel Big 17x15''

Cors Giant 17x15''.png 

Cors Giant 17x15''

Minelab CTX 17x13''.png 

Minelab CTX 17x13''

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be great to hear from owners of any of them how they compare to the normal large 12" to 15" size coils on depth of commonly sort after items like coins and jewellery as it seems to me like the real benefits of these very large VLF coils are more so on very large targets, not coin size that's for sure, especially 15" or more in size.

I have the CTX 17x13" coil and find it fantastic for coin hunting, so much so I bought a spare one just in case, in saying that the CTX is just a great deep silver machine so also performs exceptionally well with its stock 11" coil on deep coins too.

Nexus makes the Dual 31" coil for their detector, for deep hoard hunting, it's a real monster! 

31inchcoil.thumb.jpg.e16da7d6fe283482c6494adfb5297417.jpg

They do have an important information disclaimer for it though.

Important Information: Depth depends on the size of the search coil and target size. Larger search coils achieve greater depth. Large coils are suberb for medium and large targets. Smaller coils are ideal for fast isolation of smaller targets

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

It would be great to hear from owners of any of them how they compare to the normal large 12" to 15" size coils on depth of commonly sort after items like coins and jewellery

That was my thought too, some of these big coils have been around for years.. Someone out there must have used one.. It would be good to get feedback from users especially those who hunt coins and jewellery..

I'm thinking about buying the 18'' Coiltek as I'm very impressed with their 15'' coil.. On my beaches, picnic areas and sport fields the 15'' coil has been great for both depth and coverage.. I hope that the 18'' can punch even deeper.. Saying that, I must point out that there's not much black sand on the island and its soils are mild and sandy.. If Coiltek ever had to prove that the 18'' coil punches 30% deeper on coins then this would be the place to do it.. 😁  

• Like 2