In Case You Didn't Get The Memo, It's Black Friday At XP

CPT_GhostLight

Thanks for staying on top of the XP world for us on the dark side, Cap'n! 👍

Ordered a spare D2 remote (RC), and a spare WS6 module yesterday. Didn't want to get stuck in the post Christmas shortages. No Black Friday specials on either one 🙄 but they will be here day after Thanksgiving. 🥳

I've been having some difficulty charging the remote, a center pin broke off one of the cables making it difficult to get the fiddly charging cable in. I need to send my remote in for warranty service, but I did buy a kit to repair it myself, again because I fear shortages.

I also fear any other delays in my detecting obsession 🤣

I'm thinking I'd like to see if there are any differences between an RC manufactured recently vs the one I got almost 2 years ago. 😀 That might be interesting! 🤔 

I have an older and newer MI-6 pointer, and there is a difference between the two.

I plan to stick with the D2 for quite a while, no other detector interests me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks for staying on top of the XP world for us on the dark side, Cap'n! 👍

Ordered a spare D2 remote (RC), and a spare WS6 module yesterday. Didn't want to get stuck in the post Christmas shortages. No Black Friday specials on either one 🙄 but they will be here day after Thanksgiving. 🥳

I've been having some difficulty charging the remote, a center pin broke off one of the cables making it difficult to get the fiddly charging cable in. I need to send my remote in for warranty service, but I did buy a kit to repair it myself, again because I fear shortages.

I also fear any other delays in my detecting obsession 🤣

I'm thinking I'd like to see if there are any differences between an RC manufactured recently vs the one I got almost 2 years ago. 😀 That might be interesting! 🤔 

I have an older and newer MI-6 pointer, and there is a difference between the two.

I plan to stick with the D2 for quite a while, no other detector interests me.

I snagged another MI-6 for a back up since I've already worn a small hole in the tip of my original one. I fixed it with super glue and a coat of epoxy on the tip and it's holding up fine so far, but at the Black Friday deal, I couldn't resist getting a backup. 😏

So what is the difference between your original MI-6 and the newer one, if you don't mind my asking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I snagged another MI-6 for a back up since I've already worn a small hole in the tip of my original one. I fixed it with super glue and a coat of epoxy on the tip and it's holding up fine so far, but at the Black Friday deal, I couldn't resist getting a backup. 😏

So what is the difference between your original MI-6 and the newer one, if you don't mind my asking?

The older one doesn't connect as well, nor does it produce tones as well. It's paired with the WS6 Master, so I don't use it much. Seems to have the same depth tho.

I found some of those tip covers for mine on eBay, they're hard to put on but a little bit of soapy water helps. No damage other than dirt. 😀

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

The older one doesn't connect as well, nor does it produce tones as well. It's paired with the WS6 Master, so I don't use it much. Seems to have the same depth tho.

I found some of those tip covers for mine on eBay, they're hard to put on but a little bit of soapy water helps. No damage other than dirt. 😀

Thanks for the info, F350!

My original MI-6 might be newer then, because I've had no problems with connections or tones. In fact I'd be lost without it, so I'm glad I decided to pass on the other pinpointers out there and get another MI-6 for a back up.

You know, I had to wonder though, given the substantial drop in the MI-6 price (-$40) as opposed to the MI-4 price (-$10), could that mean there's a MI-7 on the way? 🤔

Inquiring minds and all that... 😏

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thanks for the info, F350!

My original MI-6 might be newer then, because I've had no problems with connections or tones. In fact I'd be lost without it, so I'm glad I decided to pass on the other pinpointers out there and get another MI-6 for a back up.

You know, I had to wonder though, given the substantial drop in the MI-6 price (-$40) as opposed to the MI-4 price (-$10), could that mean there's a MI-7 on the way? 🤔

Inquiring minds and all that... 😏

Bought the first MI-6 with the detector in February 2022, and the second in March.

Even the second one fails to connect now and again, mebbe I should buy another, or wait for the MI-7?

The only reason(s) I have for owning others is the discrimination capability. I hate digging out big iron if I know it's big iron. If I dig it I have to carry it. 🤬

The first one sometimes takes 2-3 off/on cycles, and then gives me broken digital tones. The second only does the non-connect thing.

I hope there is an MI-7 coming, with one set of tones for iron and the other for non-ferrous metals.

I still like my old Garrett Carrot, but there's no reason to use it with the D2. 🤔

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 12:05 PM, F350Platinum said:

Bought the first MI-6 with the detector in February 2022, and the second in March.

Even the second one fails to connect now and again, mebbe I should buy another, or wait for the MI-7?

The only reason(s) I have for owning others is the discrimination capability. I hate digging out big iron if I know it's big iron. If I dig it I have to carry it. 🤬

The first one sometimes takes 2-3 off/on cycles, and then gives me broken digital tones. The second only does the non-connect thing.

I hope there is an MI-7 coming, with one set of tones for iron and the other for non-ferrous metals.

I still like my old Garrett Carrot, but there's no reason to use it with the D2. 🤔

The only time my MI-6 doesn't connect is if I turn it on with my body blocking the "line of sight" signal path to the remote. As long as I remember to turn it on from an angle that the remote can "see" it, it connects fine.

I'm still interested in a ferrous/non-ferrous discriminating pinpointer too and would prefer that the ferrous discrim works at depth (similar to the Xpointer Max). I hope there is a discriminating MI-7 coming soon, but I can wait.

I too dislke being a pack-mule for iron, unless it's something interesting of course, but most of the iron I dig, I know it's iron before I dig it. Where I find pinpointer discrimination most useful is in old nail and iron polluted relic sites when trying to fish a small non-ferrous target out of the sea of ferrous items. 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

..... too dislke being a pack-mule for iron, unless it's something interesting of course, but most of the iron I dig, I know it's iron before I dig it. Where I find pinpointer discrimination most useful is in old nail and iron polluted relic sites when trying to fish a small non-ferrous target out of the sea of ferrous items. 😉

A trick that was popularised by Gary B, and is used by at least one YT D2/MI user, is to glue a small disc magnet with epoxy or similar onto the end cap - a good way to discriminate/eliminate stray iron in the hole.  My D2 continues to surprise me by the way I often find several nails etc in the hole with a nice non-ferrous item.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UKD2User said:

A trick that was popularised by Gary B, and is used by at least one YT D2/MI user, is to glue a small disc magnet with epoxy or similar onto the end cap - a good way to discriminate/eliminate stray iron in the hole.  My D2 continues to surprise me by the way I often find several nails etc in the hole with a nice non-ferrous item.

I actually might try the magnet mount thing, but I'm afraid where I hunt, I'd end up with railroad spikes and horshoes stuck to the MI-6! 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1