In Case You Didn't Get The Memo, It's Black Friday At XP

CPT_GhostLight

Thanks for staying on top of the XP world for us on the dark side, Cap'n! πŸ‘

Ordered a spare D2 remote (RC), and a spare WS6 module yesterday. Didn't want to get stuck in the post Christmas shortages. No Black Friday specials on either one πŸ™„ but they will be here day after Thanksgiving. πŸ₯³

I've been having some difficulty charging the remote, a center pin broke off one of the cables making it difficult to get the fiddly charging cable in. I need to send my remote in for warranty service, but I did buy a kit to repair it myself, again because I fear shortages.

I also fear any other delays in my detecting obsession 🀣

I'm thinking I'd like to see if there are any differences between an RC manufactured recently vs the one I got almost 2 years ago. πŸ˜€ That might be interesting! πŸ€”Β 

I have an older and newer MI-6 pointer, and there is a difference between the two.

I plan to stick with the D2 for quite a while, no other detector interests me.

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks for staying on top of the XP world for us on the dark side, Cap'n! πŸ‘

Ordered a spare D2 remote (RC), and a spare WS6 module yesterday. Didn't want to get stuck in the post Christmas shortages. No Black Friday specials on either one πŸ™„ but they will be here day after Thanksgiving. πŸ₯³

I've been having some difficulty charging the remote, a center pin broke off one of the cables making it difficult to get the fiddly charging cable in. I need to send my remote in for warranty service, but I did buy a kit to repair it myself, again because I fear shortages.

I also fear any other delays in my detecting obsession 🀣

I'm thinking I'd like to see if there are any differences between an RC manufactured recently vs the one I got almost 2 years ago. πŸ˜€ That might be interesting! πŸ€”Β 

I have an older and newer MI-6 pointer, and there is a difference between the two.

I plan to stick with the D2 for quite a while, no other detector interests me.

I snagged another MI-6 for a back up since I've already worn a small hole in the tip of my original one. I fixed it with super glue and a coat of epoxy on the tip and it's holding up fine so far, but at the Black Friday deal, I couldn't resist getting a backup. 😏

So what is the difference between your original MI-6 and the newer one, if you don't mind my asking?

Β 

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I snagged another MI-6 for a back up since I've already worn a small hole in the tip of my original one. I fixed it with super glue and a coat of epoxy on the tip and it's holding up fine so far, but at the Black Friday deal, I couldn't resist getting a backup. 😏

So what is the difference between your original MI-6 and the newer one, if you don't mind my asking?

Β 

The older one doesn't connect as well, nor does it produce tones as well. It's paired with the WS6 Master, so I don't use it much. Seems to have the same depth tho.

I found some of those tip covers for mine on eBay, they're hard to put on but a little bit of soapy water helps. No damage other than dirt. πŸ˜€

Β 

21 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

The older one doesn't connect as well, nor does it produce tones as well. It's paired with the WS6 Master, so I don't use it much. Seems to have the same depth tho.

I found some of those tip covers for mine on eBay, they're hard to put on but a little bit of soapy water helps. No damage other than dirt. πŸ˜€

Thanks for the info, F350!

My original MI-6 might be newer then, because I've had no problems with connections or tones. In fact I'd be lost without it, so I'm glad I decided to pass on the other pinpointers out there and get another MI-6 for a back up.

You know, I had to wonder though, given the substantial drop in the MI-6 price (-$40) as opposed to the MI-4 price (-$10), could that mean there's a MI-7 on the way?Β πŸ€”

Inquiring minds and all that... 😏

28 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Β 

Thanks for the info, F350!

My original MI-6 might be newer then, because I've had no problems with connections or tones. In fact I'd be lost without it, so I'm glad I decided to pass on the other pinpointers out there and get another MI-6 for a back up.

You know, I had to wonder though, given the substantial drop in the MI-6 price (-$40) as opposed to the MI-4 price (-$10), could that mean there's a MI-7 on the way?Β πŸ€”

Inquiring minds and all that... 😏

Bought the first MI-6 with the detector in February 2022, and the second in March.

Even the second one fails to connect now and again, mebbe I should buy another, or wait for the MI-7?

The only reason(s) I have for owning others is the discrimination capability. I hate digging out big iron if I know it's big iron. If I dig it I have to carry it. 🀬

The first one sometimes takes 2-3 off/on cycles, and then gives me broken digital tones. The second only does the non-connect thing.

I hope there is an MI-7 coming, with one set of tones for iron and the other for non-ferrous metals.

I still like my old Garrett Carrot, but there's no reason to use it with the D2. πŸ€”

On 11/23/2023 at 12:05 PM, F350Platinum said:

Bought the first MI-6 with the detector in February 2022, and the second in March.

Even the second one fails to connect now and again, mebbe I should buy another, or wait for the MI-7?

The only reason(s) I have for owning others is the discrimination capability. I hate digging out big iron if I know it's big iron. If I dig it I have to carry it. 🀬

The first one sometimes takes 2-3 off/on cycles, and then gives me broken digital tones. The second only does the non-connect thing.

I hope there is an MI-7 coming, with one set of tones for iron and the other for non-ferrous metals.

I still like my old Garrett Carrot, but there's no reason to use it with the D2. πŸ€”

The only time my MI-6 doesn't connect is if I turn it on with my body blocking the "line of sight" signal path to the remote. As long as I remember to turn it on from an angle that the remote can "see" it, it connects fine.

I'm still interested in a ferrous/non-ferrous discriminating pinpointer too and would prefer that the ferrous discrim works at depth (similar to the Xpointer Max). I hope there is a discriminating MI-7 coming soon, but I can wait.

I too dislke being a pack-mule for iron, unless it's something interesting of course, but most of the iron I dig, I know it's iron before I dig it. Where I find pinpointer discrimination most useful is in old nail and iron polluted relic sites when trying to fish a small non-ferrous target out of the sea of ferrous items.Β πŸ˜‰

14 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

..... too dislke being a pack-mule for iron, unless it's something interesting of course, but most of the iron I dig, I know it's iron before I dig it. Where I find pinpointer discrimination most useful is in old nail and iron polluted relic sites when trying to fish a small non-ferrous target out of the sea of ferrous items.Β πŸ˜‰

A trick that was popularised by Gary B, and is used by at least one YT D2/MI user, is to glue a small disc magnet with epoxy or similar onto the end cap - a good way to discriminate/eliminate stray iron in the hole.Β  My D2 continues to surprise me by the way I often find several nails etc in the hole with a nice non-ferrous item.

7 hours ago, UKD2User said:

A trick that was popularised by Gary B, and is used by at least one YT D2/MI user, is to glue a small disc magnet with epoxy or similar onto the end cap - a good way to discriminate/eliminate stray iron in the hole.Β  My D2 continues to surprise me by the way I often find several nails etc in the hole with a nice non-ferrous item.

I actually might try the magnet mount thing, but I'm afraid where I hunt, I'd end up with railroad spikes and horshoes stuck to the MI-6! 🀣