Nokta Legend ?

HardPack

Noticed several forum members are currently using the Nokta Legend in various locations for general, beach, coins & relic detecting. Any recommendations and advice for someone considering a future purchase. My particular ground conditions vary up from moderately mineralized ground of the western Sierra Nevada foothills and I often detect higher up on the lava capped ridges. My use would be more on the coin & relic side around old gold mining sites, old camps and along old emigrant trails. I prefer not to step over an occasional sub gram nugget. What do you think, would the Legend fit?

• The title was changed to Nokta Legend ?

4 hours ago, Digalicious said:

That is, if your question is actually about performance in mineralized ground. 

Yes. I am not expecting PI performance out of the Legend but trying to an idea how it deals with mineralized ground and how about EMI? 

6 minutes ago, HardPack said:

Yes. I am not expecting PI performance out of the Legend but trying to an idea how it deals with mineralized ground and how about EMI? 

I have a lot of experience with the Legend, but not in mineralized ground. Although Jeff McClendon does. He has talked about how well the Legend does in his highly mineralized ground, as does his Deus II and Nox 800.

As far as EMI goes, it's no better or worse than any other SMF detector. I have heard quite a few people say their Legend is much quieter in EMI than their Nox is, but I can't see how that is even possible. I mean, EMI is all about the sources, not so much the SMF detector.

The newer version of the Legend has a 12x9 stock coil and a full carbon fiber shaft. The older version has an 11" round coil with an upper carbon fiber shaft. I suggest the new version, even if you find the older version at a discount.

Nokta has some Christmas deal on the Legend right now.

Oh, one other thing. The Legend has a high default iron bias, so you might want to immediately lower that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

The newer version of the Legend has a 12x9 stock coil and a full carbon fiber shaft.

Plus that base price tag of $508 requires a closer look. I think that 12x9 (LG 30?) might be a good all around coil. If needed the 9.5x5 (LG24?) is only $136. The Legend appears to be ruggedly built, not so sure about the wireless headphones.

I can handle the EMI if I have confidence in the detector’s ability to sound off when over a non-ferrous target. In this country a VLF may run on the hot (sparky) side depending on the iron content of the rock/soil.

Here is a partial list of the rock and the soils types here: foothills- serpentine (hottest), diabase, basalt (dikes & pillow), limestone, slates, schists, graywacke & granites; high elevation-granites, basalt, rhyolite, andesite, quartzite. Plus plenty of hot rocks. Iron (ferrous) is usually associated with the lode gold deposits. 

I am looking for a SMF that fits me, I do not have enough time on the EQX 900 yet, it can handle the heavy iron trash and still pull out the targets but the my ears are not decided on the five tones and all tones (At). Something about the tone volume they are not liking.

Like I said I am trying to get a feel for the Legend: tone audio, volume, threshold pitch, handling/balance, display, etc. Throw it out there. 

Thanks for the input

I use earbuds, but I've never heard anything negative about the Nokta headphones. Just the opposite in fact.

In regards to various ground conditions, I haven't heard anything negative about that either. Jeff has used his Legend in a multitude of ground conditions. I don't want to speak for him, but he's been giving it a thumbs up for the various conditions he hunts in. Jeff typically replies to Legend posts, so hopefully he'll chime in when he sees your post. You mentioned the 900, and I know Jeff has used one for a while, but had issues with ID stability (I've heard that from many others as well). If I remember correctly, I believe that he also said that a lot of targets were giving him triple and double beeps, as if they were right on the surface.

The Legends audio tones are 1, 2,4,6, full tones, and Pitch audio. Other options include Audio Gain, Tone Volume, Tone Breaks, Tone Frequency, Threshold Level, and Threshold Frequency.

Check out the audio options in the following link. They begin on page 18:

The Legend User Manual_55000551_EN Software V1.11 (noktadetectors.com)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HardPack said:

Plus that base price tag of $508 requires a closer look. I think that 12x9 (LG 30?) might be a good all around coil. If needed the 9.5x5 (LG24?) is only $136.

I forgot about that part.

As you've noticed, like the detector itself, the coils are low cost as well.

The 9.5x5 (LG24) is the most popular coil for the Legend. Most Legend owners who try that coil, never take it off unless they need more coverage and a little more depth. It's definitely my go to coil.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Digalicious said:

I've never heard anything negative about the Nokta headphones. Just the opposite in fact.

The only Legend headphone problem I have seen was a review showing the ear pads coming off and how to reattach. Thanks for the link, I’ ll give the Legend Manual a read. 

• Like 1