New To Detectors; Need A Short Term Mentor

SoonRetired

Big Happy New Year to everyone!

I'll be retiring next year and have always been interested in metal detectors but never owned one.  My business could benefit from one as well so I decided I would pick up a XP Deus II before the end of the year.  Given the short time frame and my newbie status, I was wondering if anyone knowledgeable on the Deus II would be open to answering some questions over the phone.

Hope this is not violating any forum rules.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum SR. Sent you a PM.  But might be helpful for you and others lurking to publically share with the forum some background information so we can give you the best recommendations and advice.

First what general region of the country are you going to detect in?  This helps us better understand your detecting environment. (Inland, beach, mild or mineralized soil, lawns, fields, farms or woods, etc.)  Certain detectors do better than others in different environments.

Second, it would be helpful to better understand what specific type of detecting you are most interested in as the various “types” of hunting require different approaches, detectors, and recovery tools. For example, are you interested in park hunting for coins and jewely, hunting private property (residences or farms with permission) for coins, jewelry, or historic relics, salt or freshwater beach hunting, or hunting for gold/meteorites?

Finally, related to the above, it would be good to know why you have already narrowed down your detector choice to the Deus II and eliminated others from consideration.  The Deus II is an excellent and versatile multipurpose detector with great ergonomics.  But it is also an advanced detector with a learning curve and a significant investment.  Just want to make sure you’ve set realistic expectations on how this is all going to go down.  Have you accompanied others on detecting outings firsthand or know of a local detecting club or have you only been exposed to you tube and TV detecting which edits out the hours of futile swinging and pouches full of trash you will inevitably encounter? And that’s if you’ve been fortunate enough to have detectable public sites or have been personally granted permissions or invites to desirable private sites and have done the research to know where it’s both promising and legal to detect.  Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just keeping it real.  Metal Detecting Enthusiasts are all subjected to these downsides and challenges, regardless of skill or experience but are hooked nevertheless by that one great find of the day and the promise of the next one to come.

Welcome to the obsession and standing by to help you dive in.

On 12/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, SoonRetired said:

My business could benefit from one as well

I have used one in business as well.  However I am sure your desired use could vary drastically based on your business. Could you elaborate a little on how you plan to use it for your business?