Normal Vs Overdrive

On 3/17/2024 at 12:40 AM, Tony said:

Lower Sensitivity also helps "manage" the less than coin size targets....the small foil, broken tabs, etc are less likely to alert me as masquerading as a coin/ring (super handy for grassed areas).

Yes, I found exactly what you said, but after reading it a lightbulb came on, in that, maybe my tones/profile/volume is set all wrong for my worst trash situations. 

• Like 1

whelp.. I guess I'm hoping too  much.. I figured with all the software/signal processing advancement that the machine maybe can 'separate/suppressed' maybe not much as long as can distinguish the good/whisper target signals even in those noises and possibly can get a little bit deeper too in overdrive and its worth to diving in. I also don't mind the erratic targets ID if its gives other advantage.. the closest I can get is using enhanced mode in overdrive but I guess its still not worth it as @Tony concluded in his other post

I'm still learning plenty with this machine....in fact, I'm a relative newcomer to the Manticore. I am however, drawing on many years of detecting with other machines. It might be a problem throwing too much Sensitivity, Recovery and advanced audio processing at the machine until you have a good understanding of what's going on with the electronics. I like to run a "subdued" detector until I know what's going on. If you know there are seriously deep targets that you want to get down to then it is understandable to want to put the foot down on the accelerator but if you go too fast then you might not be able to read the (road) signs. My beach is far more forgiving.....very little Iron targets, no black sands, minimal EMI. Detecting inland is the opposite....heavy trash, difficult soils, problems with EMI.

The Manticore is very impressive....I got a long way to go to really know what's going on.

• Like 2

I mostly use the manticore in or around iron with the M8. I’ve really enjoyed using this detector. Every single time I’ve doubted its ability to pull keepers out of a really challenging situation it comes through. What is really weird about the manticore it might hit clean on some targets severely masked in nails then hit another target with an iffy audio that doesn’t seem to have anything around it. Just yesterday afternoon I was getting a weird hit that was all over the place it was smeared from iron to lower 90s, very strange smeared signal that would not lock no matter what I did. This site is literally a constant iron buzz with modern trash everywhere. It was as 1842 half dime I thought for sure I was digging some type of iron mixed with some sort of non ferrous trash. Sensitivity was at 19 which I call a little more than normal. Overdrive for me and my type of sites would have sensitivity at 21. Any more than that the targets are smeared or not detected correctly for my hearing.

IMG_3217.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Replying with a little delay cause still testing days ago the basic settings to suit my usual job...

As lot of Us can confirm, an higher sensitivity with both the M11 or M8 can lead to an erratic reading after 20 points.

I wrote about this fact when noticed in the very first air test a big footprint around all the coil's sides.

To have a clear idea of how much the field expands around the coil, just move a coin or a pulltab near, under and above.

So nothing wrong with the use of a third of total sensitivity in some cases, just stop at the first acceptable falsing noise and return a couple of points down to obtain the right level.

That's it, the beast its doing it's job really good for me.

As for separation, the preset of 4 it is a good balance at least for me cause otherwise lower to 3 or 2 the saltwater starts to sound as a background chirp.

• Like 1