Quick First Hunt With The Manticore (uk Based)

Ā 

Appreciate Iā€™m UK-based and this is more a USA-centric forum, but hopefully some nuggets of interest for one or two of you if youā€™ll indulge me šŸ™‚Ā 

Ā 

Yesterday evening the postman finally arrived with my long awaited manticore.Ā 

Ā 

Managed to swing an early finish from work today so having charged it up overnight I paid a visit to one of my regular spots that I know very well from past hunts with the 800.Ā 

Ā 

First impressions are good, lots and lots to take in and a surprising amount of differences compared to the nox.Ā 

Ā 

I only had a couple of hours before it got dark so I decided to just set up, noise cancel and then just hunt based on tones the same as I usually do with the nox. After the first couple of holes I had the bright idea of taking a photo of the screen showing the target ID/trace and then what the object actually was.Ā 

Ā 

Settings used were all terrain general, recovery 4, audio profile normal, audio 1 region all tones, ground balanced to conditions, sensitivity playing between 20-22 to start with. At the end of the hunt I switched to enhanced audio which seemed a little easier on the ear and upped sensitivity to 25.Ā 

Ā 

Location was a UK crop stubble field, power lines a field or so away and a little EMI apparent. Ground signal and chatter was noticeable in the ear and on the 2d map until I balanced manually and lowered sensitivity to get rid of it.Ā 

Ā 

All targets dug were ā€œdiggersā€ in terms of nox type sound response, the target trace varied from being nice and tight through to a bit smeary. I turned 90 degrees on each but didnā€™t take photos at all angles. The smeary targets tended to vary more with an angle change, and the few trashy/foil type targets were noticeably more smeary other than the round milk bottle top!

Ā 

Of interest is that good non-ferrous targets that were a bit bent out of shape like the lead washer (target 7) gave a more elongated trace shape, and that even large lead or copper items still have a pretty tight dot on the non-ferrous line. There may have been some ferrous co-location in some of the targets but as I only had a couple of hours on my first trip out I didnā€™t spend too much time investigating, one for tomorrow I was having too much fun trying the new toy out!

Ā 

Pictures speak louder than words so hereā€™s the photos of a few of the finds, including a nice ww1 cap badge in the second linkĀ 

Ā 

https://imgur.com/a/6jWNiyt

Ā 

https://imgur.com/a/ftTQipH

Thanks for that menagerie, Geordiodan.Ā  It's customary here to upload the photos to this site rather than send us to a 3rd party site.Ā  That one was a bit annoying as it seemed it wanted me to view other peoples' snapshots but I was able to make it through the minefield mostly unscathed.Ā  šŸ˜‰

Item 16 looks particularly interesting.Ā  Have you identified it?

54 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for that menagerie, Geordiodan.Ā  It's customary here to upload the photos to this site rather than send us to a 3rd party site.Ā  That one was a bit annoying as it seemed it wanted me to view other peoples' snapshots but I was able to make it through the minefield mostly unscathed.Ā  šŸ˜‰

Item 16 looks particularly interesting.Ā  Have you identified it?

My apologies - the other boards Iā€™m on have a low hosting limit so I had to source an external site that allowed the gallery format to try and keep the photo pairs together.Ā 
Ā 

No ID on that specific item as yet, from the makeup and style Iā€™d assumed a Victorian or georgian furniture mount or similar.Ā 

Nice job, Gordiedan, and I it was interesting to see the trace, and then the target after you dug it.

Ā 

Steve