Quick First Hunt With The Manticore (uk Based)

Appreciate I’m UK-based and this is more a USA-centric forum, but hopefully some nuggets of interest for one or two of you if you’ll indulge me 🙂 

Yesterday evening the postman finally arrived with my long awaited manticore. 

Managed to swing an early finish from work today so having charged it up overnight I paid a visit to one of my regular spots that I know very well from past hunts with the 800. 

First impressions are good, lots and lots to take in and a surprising amount of differences compared to the nox. 

I only had a couple of hours before it got dark so I decided to just set up, noise cancel and then just hunt based on tones the same as I usually do with the nox. After the first couple of holes I had the bright idea of taking a photo of the screen showing the target ID/trace and then what the object actually was. 

Settings used were all terrain general, recovery 4, audio profile normal, audio 1 region all tones, ground balanced to conditions, sensitivity playing between 20-22 to start with. At the end of the hunt I switched to enhanced audio which seemed a little easier on the ear and upped sensitivity to 25. 

Location was a UK crop stubble field, power lines a field or so away and a little EMI apparent. Ground signal and chatter was noticeable in the ear and on the 2d map until I balanced manually and lowered sensitivity to get rid of it. 

All targets dug were “diggers” in terms of nox type sound response, the target trace varied from being nice and tight through to a bit smeary. I turned 90 degrees on each but didn’t take photos at all angles. The smeary targets tended to vary more with an angle change, and the few trashy/foil type targets were noticeably more smeary other than the round milk bottle top!

Of interest is that good non-ferrous targets that were a bit bent out of shape like the lead washer (target 7) gave a more elongated trace shape, and that even large lead or copper items still have a pretty tight dot on the non-ferrous line. There may have been some ferrous co-location in some of the targets but as I only had a couple of hours on my first trip out I didn’t spend too much time investigating, one for tomorrow I was having too much fun trying the new toy out!

Pictures speak louder than words so here’s the photos of a few of the finds, including a nice ww1 cap badge in the second link 

https://imgur.com/a/6jWNiyt

https://imgur.com/a/ftTQipH

Thanks for that menagerie, Geordiodan.  It's customary here to upload the photos to this site rather than send us to a 3rd party site.  That one was a bit annoying as it seemed it wanted me to view other peoples' snapshots but I was able to make it through the minefield mostly unscathed.  😉

Item 16 looks particularly interesting.  Have you identified it?

54 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for that menagerie, Geordiodan.  It's customary here to upload the photos to this site rather than send us to a 3rd party site.  That one was a bit annoying as it seemed it wanted me to view other peoples' snapshots but I was able to make it through the minefield mostly unscathed.  😉

Item 16 looks particularly interesting.  Have you identified it?

My apologies - the other boards I’m on have a low hosting limit so I had to source an external site that allowed the gallery format to try and keep the photo pairs together. 

No ID on that specific item as yet, from the makeup and style I’d assumed a Victorian or georgian furniture mount or similar. 

Nice job, Gordiedan, and I it was interesting to see the trace, and then the target after you dug it.

Steve