Strange Rock!

Iron/ironstone concretion

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Champ Ferguson said:

I agree with jasong and am also interested in hearing more about the interior.

I'm very unfamiliar with New Jersey geology (or anything East Coast really), but that looks like the type of ironstone concretion you typically find in sandstones to me.

This is simplified, but generally the way these sorts of sandstone concretions form is somewhere in a soil/rock pore, a seed crystal precipitates out of iron rich solutions (maybe just rain percolating down and carrying dissolved iron, or a spring, or a whatever else). Usually it's in soils that later turn to rock, and so larger pore spaces are not uncommon, so you can get fist sized or larger concretions. That initial seed can keep growing, or the environment can cause the minerals to change slightly. Later, the older seed crystal can act as a nucleation site for newer mineral saturated waters, these may contain slightly different minerals since the ground above may have changed over time, and you might get a new ring of slightly different ironstone as a result. 

The interior of this concretion is the earlier stage, and it appears a later stage occured causing the slightly different outer shell material. But that shell may also just be a weathering rind or chemical alteration too, not sure.

Sometimes concretions have a "seed" that is organic - like an ammonite or a leaf. And often you can find fossils inside concretions if you crack them open. This concretion pictured is just a mineral concretion though, and might be formed more along the lines of the process that often happens in sandstones called Liesegang Banding

That's about all I can say from a photo. 

• Like 3