Dive Shaft Floating

Cheddar

In the pic you can see how Deus 2 is floating with dive shaft. I did some testing, I attached lead weights to see how much I need to make it stop floating. Seems like you need 235 grams of weight in fresh water to make it negatively buoyant - coil facing down, arm cuff a little higher. Im working on the fix.

1.jpg

I wonder if this is happening because there is some air trapped inside the coil cover?

Personally, having to exert a couple of hundred newtons of extra downward force to swing underwater is no big deal.

The upside of having a rig which floats was demonstrated for me some months ago when I watched a young lady windsurfer searching in vain for her expensive new GoPro - it had fallen off into the water - in a nice waterproof enclosure which sank without trace.

On 7/19/2023 at 2:42 AM, Tom Slick said:

Just drill a small 1/8" hole in the top of the rod near the controller clip to let the air escape.. 

That's right, even better with a couple of holes at the bottom and top of the handle, so that you don't have to turn the rod upside down and let the water inside leak out

• 3 weeks later...

I like that floats. I toss it right in the water and just let it float around while i get my hookah setup correctly. I give me some peace knowing i wont drop it in really deep water and lose it. I dont feel any noticeable buoyancy while detecting with it. As mentioned by others, it is certainlythe coil that is causing it to float.