Dive Shaft Floating

Cheddar

this thing is floating up over my head while im diving. assume its the air pocket within the handle.

anyone have this issue and dealt with it?

there are many ways to add weight to it i suppose to keep it from floating. im thinking of adding some weight to the hollow handle and sealing it off.

XP-DEUS-II-S-Telescopic-Dive-Shaft_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1668270922

29 minutes ago, Cheddar said:

this thing is floating up over my head while im diving. assume its the air pocket within the handle.

anyone have this issue and dealt with it?

there are many ways to add weight to it i suppose to keep it from floating. im thinking of adding some weight to the hollow handle and sealing it off.

XP-DEUS-II-S-Telescopic-Dive-Shaft_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1668270922

I think you've got to be careful what you wish for - I'd be much happier for mine to float to the surface if I lost control of it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, UKD2User said:

I think you've got to be careful what you wish for - I'd be much happier for mine to float to the surface if I lost control of it.

when you are digging with one hand and pinpointing with the other. and your shaft wants to detect your head, it gets pretty annoying. i am connected via headphone wire so i am not too concerned about losing control

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheddar said:

when you are digging with one hand and pinpointing with the other. and your shaft wants to detect your head, it gets pretty annoying. i am connected via headphone wire so i am not too concerned about losing control

I guess a small strip of lead wrapped round the shaft ought to fix that?

I don’t own the dive shaft, but I’d be more inclined to allow water to displace any air in the shaft rather than add weight (if air is the buoyancy issue).  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Just drill a small 1/8" hole in the top of the rod near the controller clip to let the air escape.. 

Or just tip the thing sideways for a moment or two (the shaft and handgrip are open at the bottom)?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Just drill a small 1/8" hole in the top of the rod near the controller clip to let the air escape.. 

im not 100% sure if that is what is making it float up. was hoping someone else had the same experience and had resolved it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with diving shaft. Im super disappointed with it. I wonder if they proper tested it for diving cause if they did they would never release crap like that. There is no air pocket anywhere in the shaft, the coil itself is the problem. I use 11 inch and it's positively buoyant. The diving shaft is fully made of plastic so it's also much lighter than standard one. Dive shaft is floating coil up and arm cuff down. Putting any weight inside handle doesn't work. Weight must be placed at the end of shaft near the coil. I don't have any idea what to use and how to attach it. Can't use any kind of metal obviously, any ideas?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomek said:

I have the same issue with diving shaft. Im super disappointed with it. I wonder if they proper tested it for diving cause if they did they would never release crap like that. There is no air pocket anywhere in the shaft, the coil itself is the problem. I use 11 inch and it's positively buoyant. The diving shaft is fully made of plastic so it's also much lighter than standard one. Dive shaft is floating coil up and arm cuff down. Putting any weight inside handle doesn't work. Weight must be placed at the end of shaft near the coil. I don't have any idea what to use and how to attach it. Can't use any kind of metal obviously, any ideas?

now that you mention it, yes it does float coil up. im using the 9" coil. havent been diving since i made that post so i havent tried anything yet.

my idea was to fill up the actual shaft (by taking off the remote mount) with small pebbles.