Introducing Lil-croft And Our Manticore Dilemma

Hi, I just wanted to thank everyone for the warm reception and kind words! This seems like a wonderful community 🙂 The Bass Pro 10% deal was just to encourage store traffic - there was no open-box requirement. The serial number on the detector matches the box but not the coil.

Update: We tried a test and Lil' Croft did not disappoint. Within 10 minutes she uncovered what looks like a WWII bullet and a '63 penny (too bad it wasn't a dime!)... all on default settings and without a pinpointer! I just worked the detector and popped out a couple of plugs for her - Lil' Croft did the truffling. Once I get a moment I'll start a new post with a photo or two.

So, we're off to a pretty good start! In terms of exchange or keep, I think it comes down to two factors:

1. Can anyone try an "open air" test with their Manticore on default settings. How far away are you getting a signal for a modern US quarter? I seem to lose signal completely around 8 or 9 inches away but I have yet to adjust settings like sensitivity, etc. The purpose here is to benchmark this specific Manticore's performance against others that are known to be in perfect working order. Beyond that, any helpful setting pointers are welcome.

2. What's the process to confirm that this detector is not refurbished? Is there anything on the detector or packaging that would indicate refurbished or should I just reach out to Minelab with the box/detector serial number and story?

If this detector passes those 2 tests I'll probably skip the drive and just work something out with Bass Pro customer service.

Thank you, Detector Prospectors!

3 hours ago, Lil-Croft said:

1. Can anyone try an "open air" test with their Manticore on default settings. How far away are you getting a signal for a modern US quarter? I seem to lose signal completely around 8 or 9 inches away but I have yet to adjust settings like sensitivity, etc.

What search mode are you using, and what sensitivity?  Both will affect the 'depth' in an air test.  Below is page 11 from the manual.  There's an icon on the left side of the status bar which shows the search mode via icon, but to get the text name corresponding to that you need to go into the settings menu and scroll to the search mode selection screen.

Screenshotat2023-07-2613-22-00.thumb.png.1a33de2251637d7e27af8adb14223b10.png

BTW, you mention default settings but since apparently your detector has been operated prior to your acquisition, you should do a factory reset to make sure all default settings are active.

Screenshotat2023-07-2613-29-45.thumb.png.36da5714af84fd4d840c35b9241ce2b2.png

Hi Lil-Croft

GB_Amateur has given you a piece of very good advice, do a reset first and then try an airt test with a few coins/objects, I would recommend a trip to youtube and see what they have to help you too, in particular the Menelab bit on the Manticore.

My personal experience with it is that this is a superb detector, very easy to play with eg change settings and very sensitive.

BTW my grandchildren a boy 9 years and a girl 7 years have both a detector and are avid detectorists, they work the parks around us and enjoy every minute of it. The boy has my NOX 800 and the girl the a GO-FIND 60 ( which I recommend because it is relatively inexpensive AUDS340.00 and very easy to use)

Have a great day and keep swinging

WoWo