Fisher Gold Bug 2 14" Coil Worthwhile Purchase?

Has anyone had any experience with the Gold Bug 2 14" elliptical coil? I know most only use the tiny concentric so I was wondering if anyone's even used the bigger coil? 

What would you consider the benefit to this coil on the Gold Bug 2?  Does it provide depth other coils don't?  Would it be beneficial to own? 

I ask as it's now become quite cheap, dealers in the pacific region are virtually clearing it out at heavy discounts so I figured it might be worth snapping up before it's impossible to buy in this part of the world, while I can still get it locally with the associated discounts it's worthwhile but buying it EVER from the USA is just a no-go.... Far far far far far far far too expensive to go that route so If I miss out locally now, I miss out forever as if the dealers are clearing it out it means they don't intend to restock it.

14coil-7-gb2-s.gif.7c66ce43baf6a541af0d3370a2dfc75c.gif

F-14COIL-7-GB2.png.5592a3fed18d1fdda77911946b8ef452.png

If I did buy it my GB2 coil collection would be complete, although I've never even used my 10" elliptical for the Bug, I like that little concentric too much. 

• Like 1

Can't answer your specific question Simon but Fisher detectors in NZ are a lot cheaper than Australia. The Gold Bug 2 combo is nearly $500 kiwi dollars cheaper. Can I ask where you might be purchasing Fisher stuff from (I'm guessing DredgeNZ ?)

Just as a side note....the Excalibur is also quite a bit cheaper in NZ than Australia.

......grab the 14" coil....should ping a bigger nugget at depth.

Tony

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

Can I ask where you might be purchasing Fisher stuff from (I'm guessing DredgeNZ ?)

Yep, DredgeNZ is my usual Fisher store and Detectors Downunder is the other option.

It's very unusual for Fisher to be cheaper in NZ, well anything really, as currently our dollar is worth 92 cents to the Australian dollar, quite low compared to recent years but I guess they're seeing Fisher as bad sellers and just trying to clear stock.

My GB2 with the 10" coil is still my workhorse detector and I never used the 6" until recently. The 6" did find very small gold in an area that the 10" no longer produced from. Say, another 2grams from where the 10" had found forty. I think the main reason for the extra was the 6" could get into spots the 10" couldn't. Prior to the GB2 I had the original GB with the 6" and the 14" and my limited experience with that was that, all other things being equal, any depth gain from the larger coil was more than offset by the fact that in patch hunting it was, on average, further off the ground to avoid legions of small bushes and rocks. If you are in WA say detecting a gravel strewn billiard table I guess that wouldn't matter as much.

I've thought about getting a 14" for the GB2 as well but when the price delivered South Africa isabout 3x US price I'm not that interested. The theoretical depth gain over the 10" is about 5% (15% over the 6"). A lot less than than scan height loss. Yes, you can kick the rocks aside at a huge loss in ground covered per day. In my case I'm not usually short of ground to cover but I am short of time and energy.

I do have the 13" DD on my ATX and so far I never found anything with it that the GB2 10" couldn't also detect but I do have bone dry, low mineral, thin soil. Perfect for the GB2.

My advice? Take the wrapping off your 10" coil and try it on an area the 6" thas already thrashed. If that works buy the 14". If that doesn't work let me know and maybe I'll buy it off you. Put it in a padded envelope and post it. There's a 25% chance it won't get stolen en route.

Glad to hear there's still GB2 believers out there. I was getting lonely.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yep, DredgeNZ is my usual Fisher store and Detectors Downunder is the other option.

It's very unusual for Fisher to be cheaper in NZ, well anything really, as currently our dollar is worth 92 cents to the Australian dollar, quite low compared to recent years but I guess they're seeing Fisher as bad sellers and just trying to clear stock.

Some weird price differences but Fisher have had better value in NZ than Australia for a while now.

Also some much better Minelab prices (4500 was good value in NZ towards the end of it's time) and the Excalibur is $400 cheaper in NZ.

Anyhow, I'd better keep this post on topic 😐

• Like 1

I've seen the Fisher Gold Bug 2 do very well in the more moderate ground here in Western Australia, often targeting the old areas that the original miners dumped all their iron rubbish........very unfriendly to a PI unless you enjoy hearing junk targets every other step.