Sneak Peek At The Go Terrain App

CPT_GhostLight

4 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

CPT,  Thank you!

When this becomes available in the US, I'll be downloading it.  👍

I must admit, it does look pretty good. I'm anxious to see the finished product in the US version. I have an app, but I seldom use it anymore because of it's bugs and awkardness to set up a locations. This one looks pretty simple to operate and everything can be done on the fly. I can see this being useful on relics and prospecting sites, large fields, and even beaches to see where I may have missed during a hunt. 😎

Looks like it has some nice features CPT, but I hope it also has a topo map option. Unless the satellite view was taken when all the leaves are off the trees, it won't do me much good in the woods. 😉

I use an app called Backcountry Navigator. It records my tracks in real time so I can see where I am on the topo. It makes it easy to follow the same route back out if I wish. Also handy to see if there is part of a site I haven't detected yet. But some of those bells and whistles on the Go Terrain app seem pretty useful. I'll check it out when it is available.

After watching this, I still have some questions. I use GPS units with my job.  Generally speaking, there are three categories: survey grade, mapping grade, and consumer grade.  The differences are in accuracy (both the accuracy of the unit and the capability of monitoring multiple GPS satellite arrays) and ability to post-process the data file using data from a fixed station.  Post processing allows correction of “hiccups“ in the data from poor satellite geometry, loss/gain of a satellite, etc.  

Aside from post-processing, survey and mapping grades allow exporting the data file for map generation (like AutoCAD).  Modern survey/mapping grade GPS units also have the “Floodlight” capability of picking up a signal under dense tree cover and in canyons (natural and urban).

Based on the preview, Go Terrain definitely appears to be consumer grade (I believe 6-7 meter accuracy was mentioned).  As such, I suspect it will also suffer from positional hiccups in satellite geometry, and loss of signal/poor accuracy in signal-challenged locations.

Ultimately, I do not need 4 cm accuracy for metal detecting purposes. But, I would like to know how they have accounted for typical GPS signal issues in order to prevent a straight line path from being depicted as a seismograph zigzag. With plus or minus 6-7 meters (I am guessing this is average) on an old path and the same on a new path, the crossing path function is going to be very much an estimate.  Plus or minus 20 some feet leaves a lot of room for a “hunted“ area, but at least it gets you in the ballpark for a large site.

As this is only active in Europe, I suspect they are currently monitoring European GPS networks (i.e. Galileo, possibly Russian Glonass etc.).  Hopefully, they also have access to the American GPS network.

At the end of the day, this could still be a useful app depending on the site. However  I would say this must have the capability of overlaying historical topo maps.  Otherwise, it lacks capability compared to other commercially available metal detecting GPS apps.  I would like it even better if I could rotate, scale, and overlay custom maps like Sanborns.

Frankly, if you have purchased a new XP detector, you should get a complementary membership for a certain period of time. Hey XP, that may help you hook additional clientele on the higher tier plans… 😁

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Such as…

One of the members in my metal detecting club showed me a commercially available app he uses for locating himself and historical features while metal detecting.  That was a few months ago and I don’t remember the name of it. But while I was jumping back-and-forth between webpages on my phone to see historical topo’s, current street maps, etc. and cross-referencing between them to figure out where I was in relation to hundred year old features, he opened up his app and popped up a topo map layer on it with his position indicated.  

I don’t know the full capabilities of that app because I don’t have it.  Instead, I have been “old schooling” it with the current iOS map app and a website with a series of historical topos (and index) for my state.

So, there is at least one other app out there with georeferenced maps and the capability to show your position relative to that map.  I cannot testify to the accuracy of that app.  But this is why I said if Go Terrain doesn’t have a map overlay capability (at least for the US where I would use it) then it lacks capability compared to competing apps.

Now, I am guessing any app with maps will be limited to the maps in the database which may be further limited by cell connection or freely available maps you can download for off-line use.  I would think it would be a fantastic feature if you could have a GPS app reference user-supplied pictures/drawings/maps.  If you could two-finger rotate and scale, or tap two points of current reference and two points on the figure to automatically overlay, I could see that being immensely helpful - especially in areas where cell reception is not available to maintain a link to a map server.

3 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Now, I am guessing any app with maps will be limited to the maps in the database which may be further limited by cell connection or freely available maps you can download for off-line use.  I would think it would be a fantastic feature if you could have a GPS app reference user-supplied pictures/drawings/maps.  If you could two-finger rotate and scale, or tap two points of current reference and two points on the figure to automatically overlay, I could see that being immensely helpful - especially in areas where cell reception is not available to maintain a link to a map server.

Since you stated that it lacks capability compared to other commercially available GPS MD apps, I thought you had some detailed, specific insights on preferred apps for MDing beyond the iOS map app.  

The capability/feature you described in the quote above actually already exists in an app called Maprika, now called GPS on Ski as it was originally designed to accommodate ski map overlays. But I have used it to overlay old Topos and Historic maps and to track my position relative to those historic maps.

I primarily use OnX apps, however.  Recently switched from Onx Hunt to Onx Backcountry both of which permit a number of different overlays and other data layers including property lines, private property landowner identification from publicly available property tax databases, weather, and wildfire information.  I would think the “accuracy” would be more a function of the phone’s GPS chipset and firmware than the app.  The tracking on Onx is is very good.

Not sure XP will ever release the Go Terrain app in the US. Tthey’ve been promoting it for years, have had several false starts, and have had it available in Europe for over a year.  I’ve kind of moved on because of the numerous failures by XP to deliver on this.

Other apps I have tried include Tect O Track and Cal Topo.

Perhaps some of the above apps were used by your club member.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  I am not finding Maprika or Tect O Track in the Apple App Store, but I did find the onX and Cal Topo apps.

13 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Thanks!  I am not finding Maprika or Tect O Track in the Apple App Store, but I did find the onX and Cal Topo apps.

Here's a link to the iOS version of Tect O Trak:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tect-o-trak/id1175005465

I also use Gaia for more detailed map overlays. It cost about the same as OnX Hunts for the Pro version:

https://www.gaiagps.com/