Anyone Still Using A Sovereign?

I have a lot of history using a Sovereign and can honestly say that it is one of the best and most productive metal detectors that I have ever used. I am getting older now and also have some health issues so I have reluctantly moved on to a very lightweight metal detector. I am quite happy with it but I do miss the audio and some other features of the Sovereign. How I wish that Minelab would have repackaged the original Sovereign making it lighter in weight and more ergonomic without changing its audio and operational characteristics too much.

I will probably be selling my trusty Sovereign soon as it is now more difficult for me to swing and use all day. Age catches up to you. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seeing it's not a detector with Target ID's and screen you need to look at why not just hip mount it like this guy has done? 

Would weigh next to nothing then.

Hip mount bag at Rob's Detectors

Minelab Hip-mount Bag (new style) - Rob's Detectors (robsdetectors.com)

• Like 3

I still use the Sovereign GT for wet sand beach hunting, great machine! Like Phrunt said, just hip mount that sucker!

• Like 1

Phrunt's suggestion is good, I hip mounted my Excalibur II and way back always used my Garrett Groundhog as a hip mounted unit, it's hard to get better than a hip mount if the detector suits. I really liked my Excalibur II, slow but it punched deep. Keep the Sovereign, where are you going to get another one. Just my thoughts as usual.

• Thanks 1

Good tips guys but I have always used my Sovereign hip-mounted. I started using one soon after its introduction in the early 1990's and kept using one up until the last few years when I switched over to a completely wireless detector. That detector has now "spoiled" me with its lightweight ergonomic design, versatility and high performance. The Sovereign found me plenty over the years and was/is an excellent performing metal detector. Even hip-mounted, with its weight, bulk, strap and wires it is still very cumbersome compared to my new completely wireless featherweight metal detector. There is no going back for me. Technology marches on!

You may not have noticed but my Sovereign has the In-Sight target ID meter mounted where the speaker used to be. No one has probably loved and respected the Sovereigns as much as I and I have done well with them. Years ago, I invented, manufactured and sold the Patriot Target A.I.M. and In-Sight ID meters for the Sovereigns. As I am now an older detectorist comfort is very important to me and if you have not tried a totally wireless detector you cannot appreciate the world of difference in comfort. There is no going back for me now.