Garrett Axiom First Official Gold Prospecting Trip

15 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I had a bad head cold, it was hot, I was using Aukey B80 wireless earbuds with a 1Mil transmitter (so definitely not very good exterior noise cancelling) and I left the master volume on the Axiom near default, lowered the volume on the Aukey B80s a lot, left the threshold pitch on default 50 and adjusted threshold level itself to where I could clearly hear my 0.1 gram lead test target which was between 10 and 14. With over the ear headphones that have good noise cancelling I would have been able to run the threshold and the general volume levels lower. There was some wind noise and some really loud braying mules. It was like being in a cattle stock yard sometimes! Wherever I went, those mules were not far behind me. What that means I have no clue. I was really concentrating on very small target signals that were just breaking the threshold so yeah I had it just below default 15.

Thanks for that explanation, Jeff.  A continuous reference tone at that volume would have made my head explode regardless of ambient conditions, but it obviously did not affect your ability to recover micro targets.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Thanks for that explanation, Jeff.  A continuous reference tone at that volume would have made my head explode regardless of ambient conditions, but it obviously did not affect your ability to recover micro targets.

At least using the VCO audio option, I believe the threshold used is not just a reference threshold. Maybe I am wrong, however, it sure acted more like a "live" threshold running the Mono coils I used. Using some audible threshold made it much easier to hear very small sub gram targets.

That may be part of the reason.  I am only running the DD's and a barely audible threshold to listen for breaks and small pertubations, it's definitely not just a reference threshold, but perhaps due to EMI or whatever, I can't run it out of the negative numbers without it blowing my ears off.  But I am also not looking for subgram targets, though my setup should be able to accommodate subgram target detection since it was similar to what Steve articulated above.