Maybe I Shouldn't Have Been Skeptical

Lodge Scent

Dug this 1827 Matron this morning. I was in Sensitive Full Tones and dug 5 or 6 .22 casings and etc. All mid tone finds. After a while I found myself just focused on the mid tones so I decided to make a Tone bin from 71 to 88 and put the volume at zero to eliminate any falsing and maybe pick out a faint high tone. I made the change and I hadn't walked 10 feet when I got a weak high tone with VDIs in the 90's. Of course I didn't believe it and even after I circled the target and still got 90's poking through, I still wasn't buying it. But there it was at the bottom of the hole, a good 9 to 10 inches down. Then it was another 30 minutes before I got another high tone (small odd shaped brass buckle). 

Interestingly, besides the surprise of that deep copper from this pounded site, I was getting a lot of mid tone targets. Because I was just wanting to focus on high tones, I left the mid tones in the ground. I am sure many of them were 22s and small lead, but there were some that I am sure are buttons. Save them for another day. What got my attention was that I heard that many mid tones. I had hunted this site heavy in General Full Tones in the past and pulled a lot of mid tone targets but never hit it hard with Sensitive Full Tones until today. Not sure if it was just using Sensitive FT that made those mid conductors pop, or maybe that silent tone bin helped them pop as well, or both. I'll work on that next time out.

Lodge

1827 Matron 20231119.jpg

1827 Matron  2 20231119.jpg

Another nice one in the bag, LC! 🏆 Congrats. Which coil did you use? 🤔

And if you don't mind, what's your secret for getting all the bronze cancer off? Might do some of that with a bronze medal I found.

Thanks Gents. F350 I was using the 9" coil today. For this copper, and probably for the last 100 coppers I've dug, I just give them a "dry cleaning" only. This one got a very light brushing with a soft toothbrush to get the excess dirt off but preserve as much of that thin green patina layer as possible. Then it got a coating of Ren Wax right over the remaining dirt. 😉 Even just a water rinse would have left it with a pitted surface. I've tried removing that "bronze cancer" from some coppers but the result is usually worse. Sometimes you can remove some with a dental pick or use a eurotool or andre pencil to abrade some off. But for me, I usually leave them as is these days. That bronze medal you found is really cool. I would be happy with any little flaws it may have rather than try and clean it. 

That's a beauty, Lodge Scent, well done again! 😎

I don't remember if you're running V2.0, but XP left the Sensi FT program hot rodded from the V1.0 update and I tested it recently against my Fast FT program and they matched signals on all tested targets on a nasty relic site. That "notch" you used may have made the difference, IDK, but I'll have to give that a try and see if it makes a difference in my dirt. 😏

17 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

Very nice coin. Congrats! I’d say it’s probably a little bit of both. Blocking out the noisy range AND using an alertive audio that makes target tones jump out at ya. I like using pitch for that very reason.

I've taken to using Relic (and Gold) programs for the same reason.  I do notch up to about 40 in most places I detect because there is little in that range that I would want anyway.  I set IAR to 5 to minimize the iron.  When I do get a tone, its almost always a "dig".

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That's a beauty, Lodge Scent, well done again! 😎

I don't remember if you're running V2.0, but XP left the Sensi FT program hot rodded from the V1.0 update and I tested it recently against my Fast FT program and they matched signals on all tested targets on a nasty relic site. That "notch" you used may have made the difference, IDK, but I'll have to give that a try and see if it makes a difference in my dirt. 😏

Thanks CPT. I am still running V1.1 for now. Looking at my settings, besides that Full Tones volume "notch" that I had, I also had a real Notch of 3-5, and a Notch of 99. As my programs morph, sometimes settings accidentally get carried over from one program to another.

22 hours ago, Lodge Scent said:

Thanks CPT. I am still running V1.1 for now. Looking at my settings, besides that Full Tones volume "notch" that I had, I also had a real Notch of 3-5, and a Notch of 99. As my programs morph, sometimes settings accidentally get carried over from one program to another.

I loved V1.1 so I get it. Your real notches may have eliminated some of the wrap-around we get from iron in that case. And of course, your volume "notch" probably took out the nail falsing entirely from the audio. So any or all of that obviously worked in your scenario and the proof is in the find. 😉