Crater Of Diamonds

Hey Bear, did you prospect for diamonds in Wyoming?

Jim

13 years ago is about when I started prospecting over there. I've spent considerable time there myself, Bear. Found chrome diopside as large as 5 carats, but have never seen a diamond. I have one little valley below Sage Mntn, and west of Cedar that still kicks out some nice indicators. We were there last summer I keep thinking that spot will give up a diamond, as it gives up the largest CD's I've found, but no luck so far. I think the remnants of a   pipe are very close to that spot, having once found a CD with kimberlite still attached, but we still have not located it.

Jim

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Don’t diamonds form from carbon at depth under extreme pressure? What geologic structures existed in Arkansas and Wyoming that enabled the formation of diamonds?

Okay, after sleeping on that question not so easily answsered.

https://www.geowyo.com/wyoming-diamonds.html

Over 20 years ago came across a log cabin in the Medicine Bow Mountains. Looking through a paned window I saw what I thought was a shaker table surrounded by piles of dirt. Thinking gold I quickly looked around the immediate area for any placer workings. Not finding any went on my way. 

9 hours ago, HardPack said:

Over 20 years ago came across a log cabin in the Medicine Bow Mountains. Looking through a paned window I saw what I thought was a shaker table surrounded by piles of dirt. Thinking gold I quickly looked around the immediate area for any placer workings. Not finding any went on my way. 

Oddly, you are the 2nd person to mention a similar story, and I really wish I could remember who the first person was but it was on the Nuggetshooter forum and it's gone now.

Someone told me at the base of the mountains somewhere, a long time ago, they came across an old cabin with some kind of placer equipment in it and I might want to go check it out someday. They gave me a brief explanation of where, but it wasn't accurate enough for me to find and so I never tried. 

I found what I was pretty certain was a diamond while dredging up by Keystone about 25 years ago about the size of the tip of my pinky, no flaws and very clear. It would scratch beryl anyways and beryl couldn't scratch it, but that was all the testing I did as I wasn't really very educated about mineral ID at the time, coulda been sapphire I guess. It stayed in the console of my truck for years until I accidentally vacuumed it out while cleaning my truck. It still makes me cringe thinking about it because now that I'm older and wiser, I'm pretty sure it was a diamond but I'll never know.

I have a friend who has a few diamond claims up there now and has found some tiny diamonds in kimberlite. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jasong said:

They gave me a brief explanation of where, but it wasn't accurate enough for me to find and so I never tried. 

I don’t want to run you on a goose chase so keep in mind it was back in the fall of 2002.

It may have been the “Bridger Mine” located  NE of Divide Peak, west of Jack Creek Road south of Rawlings on Hwy 80. NW 1/4 section, Section 2, Township 15N 87W.

Traveling west on Forest Service Road 453 from Jack Creek Road the cabin would be on the right side of the road, a drainage was down slope on the left, beyond the creek was black timber. 

Land Matters does not indicated any active claims in Section 2. There multiple active claims south of Bridger Peak. 

@HardPack You never happened to meet a detectorist named Chet Long back then by any chance did you?

Was trying to meet and/or get a hold of him or someone who knew him but never had any luck, but not many people know those areas, so I figured I'd ask if you were around there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasong said:

Chet Long

No, Sorry.

In the morning I was traveling west from Jack Creek Road towards Sage Creek Road (401) then SW towards Baggs, then followed the Little Snake River east (70), turned north east of Bridger Peak. I do not remember traveling as far as Encampment before heading north but may have. At some point I eventually crossed west back to Jack Creek on a secondary Forest Service Road. It was on this forest service road where I stopped at the log cabin. 
I ran into a ranch manager living with his family just north of the Jack Creek Campground that was familiar with the area. 
Good Luck

• Like 1