Legend - Revisiting The Stock Coil (lg28)

Since last summer, I've mainly been running the Legend with the smaller/sniper LG24 (9.5x6), and sometimes switch on the LG30 (12x9). I purchased the Legend before the LG30 came out, but hadn't really used the stock LG28 (11") since obtaining the other two coils.

The LG30 never really grabbed me for some reason. Yeah, it works perfectly fine and has really good ground coverage, but for whatever reason it's been a lukewarm swing. As a result, I finally decided to put the LG28 back on for the last few weeks of park/schoolyard hunts, and I've have been pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's the novelty of simply doing something different.

Coverage with the LG28 is solid, and close to the LG30. Pinpointing is more precise (at least for me) using the LG28. Finds have been steady, even in heavily worked ground.  End result is I think I'll keep the LG28 on the machine as the primary coil.

Watch, though -- in a few months I'll probably be saying the same thing about the LG30. 😆 There's something about this hobby that makes it easy to attribute better results to switching out equipment, when it might be more to do with changes in soil/environmental conditions, angle of approach, and heck, even mindset.

• Like 6

The LG 28 is an excellent coil.

• Like 2

In the air, the LG28 gets about 2" more depth than the LG24 on a coin facing flat toward the coil.

With an in ground test though, the depth difference on the flat coin is only about 1", which is likely caused by more ground signal with the larger coil.

With the buried coin on edge, I found no depth difference between those coils. I suspect that's because the smaller elliptical coil has a denser electromagnetic field, that makes it significantly more sensitive to small targets such as coins on edge.

Given that I doubt most coins are lying flat, the marginal depth difference only on flat lying coins, the much lighter weight of the LG24, much less EMI with the Lg24, and the superior unmasking / separation of the LG24, then I choose the LG24 over the LG28 every time.

• Like 2