Do You Utilize The Fe/co Meter?

Wellllll, went to Culpeper, actually Kelly's Ford in Fauquier County, but close enough. Cool Civil war site but not in the thick of things.

Sadly but not sadly, the ground had little to no mineral content, it was nasty sticky gray clay instead of red. It was really easy to find anything that was in the ground, which wasn't much. 🙄

The horseshoe meter was accurate all the time, as were the tones. Got fooled by one square nail, it was 50/50 iron and NF, I'll dig those.

As written before, when a target disappears upon lifting, it's usually good. A lot of stuff was close to the top, that gray clay doesn't allow much to sink.

On the D2 you can analyze aluminum two ways, it will either give a distorted "brassy" tone in full tones, or it will still be there you lift the coil a foot over it or more and give you a pure tone. Even Relic has this feature.

• Like 1

F350,

Thank you for checking out the horseshoe meter.

Have you (or any other D2 owners) hunted at a nail infested site with a very low iron bias, and started getting signals that gave a good nonferrous tone and a low nonferrous ID, but it turned out to be a ferrous object? 

13 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

F350,

Thank you for checking out the horseshoe meter.

Have you (or any other D2 owners) hunted at a nail infested site with a very low iron bias, and started getting signals that gave a good nonferrous tone and a low nonferrous ID, but it turned out to be a ferrous object? 

Yes, on huge iron targets like that 12 pound solid shot cannonball I dug almost 2 feet deep 🤯

It was a solid 85, every way possible, a common number that comes up when you're over a really big chunk of iron, like plow parts, kettles, axe heads, hammers. Usually I'll skip those but I was really curious, especially when I got down to a foot. 85 is in the penny range, and some older silver.

I'm glad I dug that one, but I retrieved it a few weeks later 😏

20240221_151841.thumb.jpg.77dcc5c73fc565a4cd335175a18c02df.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 11:40 AM, Digalicious said:

I don't own a D2, but I do own and use a Legend that also has a FE/CO meter.

Anyway, I find that meter to be an excellent tool in identifying iron falsing. By iron falsing, I mean a ferrous target that produces a nonferrous TID and a good nonferrous tone, no matter how the coil is manipulated. When that happens with rusty iron, my FE/CO meter will show nothing on the CO side, and a few bars on the FE side. As such, it's very helpful in identifying true iron falsing. The FE/CO meter on the D2 should do the same thing.

So, for you D2 owners:

Do you use the FE/CO meter, and if so, how?

I use it to analyze how bad the ground is at a location.

By what I've seen the F75 and the D2 mineral analysis are the same.

Fantastic tool

• Like 1