Ml 80 Headphone Troubles

The ML 80 headphones that came with my Equinox 800 stopped working last week and I'm looking for any input users might have.

For context, I've had the Nox and headphones just under 2 years (purchased new), so still within warranty. I've used the headphones for maybe 25 hours total. When I first started seriously detecting in the summer/fall of 2022, I abhorred headphones -- too hot and sweaty, and they reduced situational awareness -- and never wore them. Since then, I've come around a bit and do wear headphones most of the time. Before that change in behavior, however, I got a hold of a Legend and use it as my primary machine, hence the low hours on the Nox headphones. I have charged the headphones a couple of times during this period using the charging cable they came with.

Last week I busted out the Nox to go over a previously-worked schoolyard close by, and lo and behold the headphones wouldn't connect. Not an issue I'd had before, and they acted like they were out of juice. No worries at the time since the location was quiet and I wasn't dealing with curious passerbys or deep, quiet targets. I chucked the headphones in my bag and went about detecting, pulling a handful of clad.

When I got home, I plugged the headphones in for charging and forgot about them until the next day. When I eventually pulled them off the charger, however, they wouldn't turn on. It feels like the power button is messed up for some reason -- it feels "loose" to push on and doesn't give a clean "click" sensation, unlike the volume buttons. In addition, the headphones only display a red light on those three indicators on R side. The red indicator displays for a short time and then goes off, but the indicator never changes to blue when plugged in, which is what I thought meant a full charge. Doesn't matter what charging cable is used either, factory one or otherwise.

Any thoughts on this issue? Figured I'd tap the DP hive mind first before escalating to Minelab support. Thanks!

Sounds like a faulty power switch.  Just call ML for a warranty ticket and let them sort it out.  The ML80's which are re-branded clones of a model marketed by several Asian sellers of BT gear were known to have durability issues with the control switches and the USB charge connector breaking over time on some units probably due to manufacturing quality issues.

The red charge light is actually behaving normally per your description.  It turns on during charging and turns off when fully charged.  The blue light should only come on when you power on the phones to connect and will flash blue when connected to the detector.  If the phones are in pairing mode, then the lights will alternate flashing blue and red. It's all spelled out on p. 56 and 57 of the manual.  Since you can't get the blue light to come on when pressing the power switch, that switch is your likely culprit.

The good news is that, in the mean time, if you have wireless phones for your Legend, they should pair up with your Nox.  You can also use the WM08 wireless receiver with any set of wired phones or earbuds that use a mini plug connector (including the ML 80's using the included audio cable).

There are also plenty of inexpensive APTX-LL compatible headphones that can be bought and used with both the Nox and Legend as well.

Creative makes a very light weight pair called the Jam V2's which are great for hot weather detecting.  They're available on Amazon and elsewhere.  Search the forum for other compatible Bluetooth APTX-LL phone recommendations.

Hope ML comes through for you.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Here ya go, GG.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08QRQMLVY

Excellent headphones and inexpensive.

• Like 2

Thanks, Chase!

Don't know why I was thinking the blue lights came on when fully charged, d'oh. Anyways, the power switch explanation makes sense, especially given how odd and loose the power button feels compared to the other buttons...and the fact the dang thing flat out won't turn on anymore.

I'll give the Minelab service desk a call and see what happens. Great news if I can get them replaced. Otherwise like you said, I can still default to the Notka phones or buy an inexpensive replacement set. 

• Like 1