Here's My Take On Drop Riffle Units/battery Operated Type Highbankers After 3 Years

A couple of things to bring to your attention. Drop riffle highbankers require less water flow then your standard riffles. Drop riffles allow the gold to drop out of the water flow, like it happens in nature. Standard riffles require more water flow, to create a low pressure zone, hopefully capturing gold. Larger stones can knock flour gold out of standard riffles, but just roll over drop riffles, where the gold has already dropped out of sight. Because of less water flow, drop riffles run very well on bilge pumps. The California Mini runs nicely using a 1100 gallons per hour pump. The Geo Sluice runs well on a 2000 gallons per hour pump.

12 volt lithium ion batteries are really coming down in prices, and bilge pumps are not a great expense.  The lithium ion batteries can purchaced on Amazon or Ebay.

I did the math and pricing for running either the Californiaa Mini or the Geo Highbanker with different batteries. You could also run a 6" standard riffle unit on a 1100gallons per hour unit. These are in Canadian prices. US prices will be less.

Using a bilge pump is quiet, no gasoline, no oil, no tune-ups, no oil changes and the whole complete system is so light that you can carry it on your back and go just about anywhere. And drop riffles have excellent retention rates for flour gold. 

march22.thumb.jpg.652b46e2eb57bfc042861a8e7e79a604.jpg

• Like 5

I picked up a 90 Ah Bosch battery for $116.00 at a NAPA Auto store near me just 2 weeks ago. Could of had a 120 Ah for just 12 dollars more.

Now to find a bilge pump at the right price.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

I picked up a 90 Ah Bosch battery for $116.00 at a NAPA Auto store near me just 2 weeks ago. Could of had a 120 Ah for just 12 dollars more.

Now to find a bilge pump at the right price.

There are lots of bilge pumps for sale at Amazon and Ebay. A lot of prospecting places sell them too, as do  marinas if you happen to live near water. Did you purchase a Lithium ion battery?  Below is an article about lithium ion batteries and a  comparison chart to simplify things.

https://tritekbattery.com/choosing-between-lithium-ion-and-lead-acid-batteries-for-e-bikes/

march23.jpg.e16274eaac671d1066ebf837869d19e6.jpg

• Like 1

I use a small drop sluice to run my cons, after i dredge. Has any one Made a Drop sluice for a 2" keens dredge? I have reg. riffiles in mine now, and was think i could run slower if i had a drop sluice in my dredge. I just have small gold here in Ohio anyway, and think i could do better with a drop sluice.

17 hours ago, John-Edmonton said:

A couple of things to bring to your attention. Drop riffle highbankers require less water flow then your standard riffles. Drop riffles allow the gold to drop out of the water flow, like it happens in nature. Standard riffles require more water flow, to create a low pressure zone, hopefully capturing gold. Larger stones can knock flour gold out of standard riffles, but just roll over drop riffles, where the gold has already dropped out of sight. Because of less water flow, drop riffles run very well on bilge pumps. The California Mini runs nicely using a 1100 gallons per hour pump. The Geo Sluice runs well on a 2000 gallons per hour pump.

12 volt lithium ion batteries are really coming down in prices, and bilge pumps are not a great expense.  The lithium ion batteries can purchaced on Amazon or Ebay.

I did the math and pricing for running either the Californiaa Mini or the Geo Highbanker with different batteries. You could also run a 6" standard riffle unit on a 1100gallons per hour unit. These are in Canadian prices. US prices will be less.

Using a bilge pump is quiet, no gasoline, no oil, no tune-ups, no oil changes and the whole complete system is so light that you can carry it on your back and go just about anywhere. And drop riffles have excellent retention rates for flour gold. 

march22.thumb.jpg.652b46e2eb57bfc042861a8e7e79a604.jpg

How much material did you run?

Was this pay dirt or concentrates?

8 minutes ago, chrisski said:

How much material did you run?

Was this pay dirt or concentrates?

I was using the California mini highbanker. I shovelled fresh gravel into the hopper for about 2 hours, including gravel containing a lot of roots. It's flour gold in the pan.

march18e.JPG.1024ba3d62a5707cd2468869577eb0a4.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, John-Edmonton said:

Lithium ion battery

Yes it was a lithium ion battery, I was a little surprised that it was not as high as I thought it would be.

13 hours ago, John-Edmonton said:

here are lots of bilge pumps for sale at Amazon and Ebay. A lot of prospecting places sell them too, as do  marinas if you happen to live near water.

What size pump do you recommend to run on the sluice?

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

What size pump do you recommend to run on the sluice?

Depends on the width of the drop riffles. Up to an 8" wide, the 1100 GPH should do fine. 10" to 12" works well with the 2000 GPH and the Le'Trap runs with a 2200GPH pump, although, I sometimes add another 500 GPH pump to to run the Letrap.

• Thanks 1