M8 Finds Some Small Gold

I'm hopefully getting my M8 in the next day or so. My question is why do you think it's so good on the wet sand? I've read where several folks are finding a lot of success with it on the beach where usually depth and coverage is king and a smaller coil usually brings disadvantages. The 15" on the beach is what I usually swing but maybe with the Manticore less is more?

I'd love to hear what you think. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Skate said:

I'm hopefully getting my M8 in the next day or so. My question is why do you think it's so good on the wet sand? I've read where several folks are finding a lot of success with it on the beach where usually depth and coverage is king and a smaller coil usually brings disadvantages. The 15" on the beach is what I usually swing but maybe with the Manticore less is more?

It generally depends by the environment.

As an example two days ago I was on an eroded and heavy black sand patch with the 11" and my Ctx...Even if I modified some settings to take care of a terrible masking action, I missed the tiny 6" really capable to isolate stuff with killer precision.

I found a necklace and a small ring but fighting to listen signals between so much iron

Again, there's case and case... You're right about covered space and some depth, but not everywhere a bigger coil means this.

Conversely, in that place, a smaller coil provides higher sensitivity level without ground interference and useful separation. Not to mention the rocky layer you can batter check in between... Tomorrow I'll be back there with the 6"...

In two weeks, I'll have hopefully the Manticore with the M8...Just the time to set everything with the 11" and goodbye...I'm a diver and never felt comfortable with large coils by the way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Skate said:

I was at the beach the other day and some guy was swinging a Nox with a 15 inch coil. I was a little envious and embarrassed thinking about how much area he was covering with each swing and here I am with this little 8 inch. The M8 is the smallest coil I have used in decades! At times I think about going back to the 11 inch just to cover more ground at the beach, BUT... I am running a sensitivity around 26 to 27 and at times 28 on the higher slope. I could not possibly run that high with the 11. I know a lot of guys are saying that a lower sensitivity is better for more accurate number ID's and in a lot of instances it is. I had a small target easily coming in as non-ferrous and at 26 sensitivity, I lowered it to 21 and the target was gone. It turned out to be a small open silver earring. I think it is a give and take with what you are comfortable hearing. I am always thinking small thin gold chains, so that is primarily why I run it so high. I think the beaches are loaded with chains, but we just can't get a decent signal on them especially in the salt water.

A lot of guys on the forums are saying the M8 is just as deep as the 11 and awesome in heavy iron trash infested sites. I can't say how they feel about the 15 in. I am just amazed at all the small open earrings I am finding with this coil. I don't think I'm missing anything deep that the 11 would find, just suffering with ground coverage.

If you are looking primarily for fresh drops, the 15 would get the job done in quick fashion!

• Like 5

Good to hear. I usually run the 15" at 17-19 sensitivity so being able to up it a bit with the M8 sounds like it could brighten up a beach a bit. I've been waiting for some global warming to come to the left coast so I can get some depositors out there but we have a couple of inches of rain forecast for Easter weekend and every day has been primarily 60 degrees at the beach so not many are needing sunscreen.

The Post Office ruined my plans today as I was scheduled to get my M8 tonight but it was rerouted to Hemet which is about 4 hours SE of me so now I may have to wait until Thursday to get it out there. I'm excited to swing it. Hope there is more gold in your scoop!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, okara gold said:

I had a small target easily coming in as non-ferrous and at 26 sensitivity, I lowered it to 21 and the target was gone

I'm contemplating to run normal or overdrive to settle for future hunts since I cant find a target yet that lower sensitivity (22-24) cant detect and I tested a lot of targets until my button worn out like this.. lol 

worn.jpg.ecafad8b53e004dc8fcaf1a85a7a6a26.jpg

Open hoop below were found in dry sand around 5' to 7' where I'm using m8 with 25-27 sensitivity.. the lowest sensitivity it can detect was 20..  so I wonder if the same scenario will happen if I'm using overdrive but until now its not happening to me.. I guess I will stay on overdrive for now and see what happen

openhoop.thumb.jpg.72ee61a979966797e40d04f1bdcb454c.jpg

• Like 1

I will check more of my iffy signals to see where a lower sensitivity finally cannot pick them up. Your buttons sure get a workout! 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoinShooter said:

Great finds!

How did the 10K toe ring sound for you?

Thanks,

John

Hi John... I didn't pay much attention to how it sounded as it was just another small target and I was digging anything that wasn't iron grunting, but it was a definite "dig me" target. I use the prospecting audio.

• Like 1

Got my coil today and took it to the park near me for a quick run through. I've never used the small coils and man this looks like I have a tiny tupperware lid on the end of a stick. I didn't recover anything earth shattering but it did as expected. I'm going to take it to the beach tomorrow and run it all over the wet sand and see if I can drudge anything up. I have to admit I feel kind of inadequate with it on there and I'm not compensating for anything:biggrin:

Hopefully i can bring home some gold. 

• Like 3