X Terra Elite or Equinox 600, Which Is Better?

Hello, everyone. Is it worth changing Equinox 600 to X Terra Elite? Will there be any changes in the operation of the device? The usual Xterra is weaker than Equinox, I like the design of the Elite, but is the Elite really better than the usual Terra? I don't want to overpay for one color of the device? Maybe someone has already bought the Elite and can test this device ....

• The title was changed to X Terra Elite or Equinox 600, Which Is Better?

Thank you, I have doubts whether Hterra Elite will be as deep and also see all the targets as Equinox. I heard that Hterra has problems with detecting large colored targets, in some cases the device does not see them at all

Elite really compare to Equinox? Has anything really changed with the addition of multi mode? Maybe someone has comparative tests of Equinox with Hterra? I think it's not worth waiting for some miracle with Elite, but if Elite is the same as Equinox, I will gladly buy this device.

Until more people get the Elite and test it’s hard to say how it will compare to a 600.  It seems like it should be comparable, and with the different iron filter settings it may potentially be an improvement.  I just ordered one because my 600 is way past warranty and the battery needs replaced so I decided to try the Elite instead of spending money on the battery since my 600 has already been replaced for a leak 3 years ago.  They seem to have the leaking problems solved with the newer housing of the 700, 900 and Xterra.  If your 600 is still in good condition and working properly then there probably isn’t a need to get the Elite. Unless you just want a new detector!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Taras999 said:

It is interesting to compare Equinox 600 with Xterra, I liked the coil, it is more oval than round, as well as its convenient design and the bar that can be quickly folded. The usual X Terra has quite good performance, I think both devices have the same filling and control units, so Equinox 700 costs much more, I would buy 700, but I still want to wait for tests on the Elite, maybe the device will be the same as 600. I look forward to your tests with X Terra Elite. And Equinox 600. Thank you.

The Elite looks like a decent value machine on paper but it will likely not be exactly "the same" as the 600 or 700.

Performance in Multi-IQ modes will likely be similar with the Elite vs. the 600/700 but beyond that, there is one feature missing from the Elite that is present on the 600/700 and you will have to decide if those are worth the extra cost (about $150 US apples to apples package comparison with one accessory coil and wireless headphones included). 

The 700 has some improvements over the 600 with respect to ergonomics and control housing redesign that are probably worthwhile upgrades.  TID stability with the expanded 700/900 TID range is an issue that has caused some discontent amongst some users.  Overall, I think it is a worthwhile upgrade to consider, but the recent addition of the X-Terra Elite at a lower price point puts the Elite in consideration. IMO, If you want to "upgrade" your 600 with a new comparable Minelab detector with a warranty, the question is really the 700 or the Xterra Elite.

Therefore, I am only going to compare the Elite vs. the 700. 

Beside the stock and accessory coil choices, most obvious difference is that the Elite lacks more than one single operating frequency at 15 khz, whereas the 700 includes 4, 5, 15, and 20.

Also, unless you get an Elite package with the wireless phones included, you would have to spend an additional $100+ US for the Minelab proprietary wireless phones or a plug-in bluetooth aptx low latency transmitter (about $20 - $30 US) if you want wireless audio.

Finally, the 700 weighs about 0.03 kilo less than the Elite with the stock coil - I attribute this to the difference in weights of the two different stock coils.  And as Jeff noted below, the notch implementation on the Elite has less fine resolution than the 700 where each of the 119 individual TIDs can be ignored vs. 30 4-TID notch segments on the Elite.

Otherwise, the Elite and the 700 are very comparable.  The slight difference in iron bias implementation on the Elite vs. the 700 seems trivial and likely a non-factor in performance.

To me the Elite seems to be a great value at $599 for the expedition pack including an accessory coil and wireless phones vs. the current Equinox 700 special that includes a 6" round coil tacked on to the standard $749 700 package that includes the wireless phones.  The Elite at $479 standalone or $599 Expedition pack is even a much better value at the standard $749 700 MAP pricing without the 6" coil.  I believe this also makes the Elite a very reasonable replacement for an aging Nox 600 as an alternative to "upgrading" to the more expensive Nox 700.

• Like 5

Elite vs 600.  

Like Chase said, there is the difference in selectable single frequencies, the wireless BT system is proprietary (not universal like the 600 BT) and the coils are different.

The only other negative I see on the Elite vs the 600 is the 4 digit notching vs single digit notching on the 600.

The Elite has an extra -1 iron bias setting which is a plus and also has DP tones or 2 tone capable VCO audio, built in LED search light and handle vibration which the 600 does not have.

Throw in the proven waterproofing, better ergonomics/shaft system and (at least from my experience) these later 700 and 900 models and possibly the Elite too are just faster in general and I think the Elite is an upgrade over the 600.

I would have a hard time buying a 700 over an Elite at this point. My only hesitation would be with the 4 digit notching, but I rarely use notching......

• Like 8