Vortex For Gold Nuggets??

I would think running 24 kHz, the vortex would be a viable gold seeker with the future 5x8 DD. Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Vortex For Gold Nuggets??

Well, no actual gold mode so obviously that was not a use that Garret targeted. That said, I’d not be surprised if it did as well or better than the 18 kHz AT Gold. That’s not a very high bar however. No way it’s going to touch the 50 kHz 24K for the tiny stuff. I’ll bet if it’s all I had though I could go find a nugget or two with it. Don’t buy it for nugget hunting, but if you have one, don’t ignore it for nugget hunting either. Probably a great little jewelry detector.

• Like 3

At the Garrett Vortex price add a dedicated gold prospecting Garrett GoldMaster 24k. For a SMF MD for prospecting I am settling on the MInelab Equiniox 900 with the stock Nox 6 “ coils. Others are using the Manticore. The Legend’s coil knock make them unsuited for scrubbing the ground for small gold.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, no actual gold mode so obviously that was not a use that Garret targeted. That said, I’d not be surprised if it did as well or better than the 18 kHz AT Gold. That’s not a very high bar however. No way it’s going to touch the 50 kHz 24K for the tiny stuff. I’ll bet if it’s all I had though I could go find a nugget or two with it. Don’t buy it for nugget hunting, but if you have one, don’t ignore it for nugget hunting either. Probably a great little jewelry detector.

I'm buying one for my general detecting. I already have my gold kruzer and gb2 for gold detecting.  It was just a thought . I actually thought the 24k was running at 24 kHz. Now I know lol . Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

I'm just a beach hunter that knows nothing about nugget hunting and was wondering not counting mineralized dirt at about what khz a vlf would be similar to a typical gold pi on small gold. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Lama said:

I'm just a beach hunter that knows nothing about nugget hunting and was wondering not counting mineralized dirt at about what khz a vlf would be similar to a typical gold pi on small gold. 

Thats a very hard question to answer now as the best of the best PI detectors are approaching VLF small gold capability. Back in the day I’d have said 15 kHz and that is still not a bad answer. But just making a number up some of the hottest PI models are like 30 kHz for small gold, not quite to the 50 kHz range. Only one detector off top of my head ran at that, the Fisher Gold Strike.

The problem is that there is more to it than just frequency. Transmit power, ground cancellation, etc. all of which make it impossible to know really how something like the Vortex may do without getting it out and trying it for real. In the case of PI the part where you say “not counting mineralized dirt” is actually about the only thing that really matters in gold prospecting. It’s all about handling mineralized ground and hot rocks. That’s where a PI excels and a theoretically better VLF fails.

• Like 3

Running the Vortex VX9 in Zero mode and in 25 kHz or Multi might work with the Ripper coil. Garrett has not said what the highest frequency is for its multi setting. It is at least 25 kHz probably and maybe higher. I am certainly going to try it. 

I always enjoyed using my former AT Gold for prospecting as long as the hot rocks didn't overwhelm it (which was often unfortunately). The ground balance window was a good idea but it rarely worked on the hot rocks in my area. Hopefully the VX9's multi setting will deal with them a little better.

It sure would be nice to have a one or two tone audio option on the Vortex VX9 so that gold prospecting, relic hunting in thick iron trash and saltwater or freshwater beach hunting with lots of black sand could be just a ferrous/non ferrous 2 tone audio decision. I would even like the VX5 3 tone option better than 5 tones for that kind of hunting, but that is just me and my own subjective opinion.

• Like 3